Alcohol and health?

Do you think it is okay (for health reasons) for women to drink alcohol? Like a glass or two of wine every now and then (not even every week, not even every month). Everything I have been reading seems to warn that more and more women are having problems with alcohol and are becoming alcoholics. Do you think drinking responsibly is okay or should alcohol just be avoided entirely? Thanks for your opinions on this topic.

Valleylily

Asked by Valleylily at 5:47 PM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Food & Drink

• There is nothing wrong with drinking RESPONSIBLY. I come from a family of alcoholics and have NO problem drinking on very rare occasions. I drink 1-2 drinks maybe twice a year. Knowing your limits and how you handle alcohol helps. If you know your can't handle alcohol and know to stop after 2 drinks, then you should think about not drinking.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:21 PM on Jun. 16, 2012

• I can and do limit myself to a drink or two every once in awhile. I might go a year without a drink. I don't have anything against alcohol. I am just very aware of my risk as I come from a long line of alcoholics.

I do not think that women are more prone to falling into alcoholism than men, but the risk is not worth it for me with my family history.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:01 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• IMO,it should be avoided entirely,especially if you come from a family of alcoholic abusers
    I don't think that many realize that alcoholism can come in the form of relying on it to calm down or to relax(like a drink or 2 every night)
    If you rely on it to -fill in the blank- just like any other substance,it's an issue
    I come from a state filled with drinkers. I've pointed it out to family members that maybe picking up that case of beer for the weekend could be passed up,and got a beligerant attitude. The thought of them not having beer for the weekend was preposterous to them. Yet they don't think they have issues with alcohol
    I suppose if you can truly limit yourself to a glass or 2 once in awhile,that's great,like when you go out to a restaurant,it's when it's on your grocery list that it becomes a problem

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:58 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I don't think those very occasional wine drinkers are at a horribly high risk of alcoholism. I have a drink maybe 3-5 times a year, and I don't want it any more or less than I did when I first started drinking.

I think it has more to do with a person's personality and whether or not they are prone to addictive behaviors.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:21 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• i come from a family of heavy drinkers and soon became one...leading to many problems. I had to learn the hard way, but I learned and now only drink on occasion (not for these past 9 months though lol). I like dark beer and mostly because o the high iron. and yeast and hops are healthy
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:10 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Well I really believe that some people have a predisposition to alcoholism and/or have addictive personalities so I think it depends on the person. I haven't had any alcohol for about 2 years but I had a margarita the other day. I think every now and then it is ok. I never have more than 2 drinks.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 17, 2012