Assisted Suicide Canada

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2012/06/15/canada-court-says-suicide-laws-unconstitutional/

Anyone else see this? How do you feel about the legalization of assisted suicide in the case of the terminally ill? Do you support it, why or why not?

What about the old and dying? What if you are slowly declining with Alzheimer or dementia, should you have the option of when you die?

Annabel1809Lee

Asked by Annabel1809Lee at 5:53 PM on Jun. 15, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• To me, this is a fundamental human right.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 6:05 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• We choose how we live, we should be able to choose how we die. I agree with Brawnwyn
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• Sadly, we are too often kept alive by modern medical science when we would rather NOT live anymore.

Who is to say what is suicide? Is it not seeking treatment when you know it could help you? Is it the living will that allows doctors to pull the plug on a ventilator? If those are allowed, why can one not choose to end things peacefully rather than painfully.

I say we choose how we go out when the writing is on the wall.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:12 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• One of my favorite lines is, "Everyone deserves to die with dignity." I believe that it is perfectly acceptable, as long as seeking death isn't caused by some underlying mental issue. As long as you are of sound mind when the decision is made, it's your right.

I would rather die coherent with my family around me and welcoming death. I don't want to live longer than I should because I can. Quality of life is more important than number of years.
    Annabel1809Lee

Comment by Annabel1809Lee (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I believe in assisted suicide for the terminally ill. There's no point in them suffering just to make it a few more months.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 6:43 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I agree with Brawn also.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:57 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I agree that you should be of sound mind or have the option to write out an advanced directive of what you want to have happen if you are to become incapacitated...as in, for me to be able to say if (xxxx) happens and I am no longer able to voice my wishes, I want (xxxx) to happen, or my husband to make that decision.

I think it would be hard to have a general power of attorney cover something like making this decision, though!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 7:41 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I think as long as you are terminal and of sound mind then you should be able to make the decision to end your life. I don't know that I would do that and I wouldn't want anyone else making that decision for me. I just can't imagine being terminal and in constant pain knowing that I won't be around much longer.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:34 PM on Jun. 15, 2012

• I do not believe in assisted suicide not even my own. I believe that huan life is precious and I have not right to take it just because it is inconvenient or painful.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:04 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• I live in one of only three states in the US that has legalized assisted suicide. There are so many hoops the terminally ill have to jump through, not to mention all the red tape. I fully support assisted suicide.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 1:33 AM on Jun. 16, 2012