I really don't know what to do now. Advice/experiences, please?

Ok, so I have a long story behind what I'm asking, so if you want to know about all the details, please send me a message and I'll be more than happy to fill you in. Basically, I was BF until I got my Mirena put in and lost my milk. Now I am considering going to either Planned Parenthood or the health department to get a copper IUD put in instead. Has anyone had a copper IUD before? How was your experience with it? Mine has been horrible with the Mirena. I don't think I have a very good tolerance for hormonal birth control methods. I have been moodier than usual and I've gained weight. I haven't even stopped bleeding since I had it placed at the beginning of December '08. Thanks!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 8:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Health

• My sil just had her mirena taken out and replaced with a copper for the very same reasons. She was having horrible hormonal issues and she couldn't stabilize. She was depressed, anxious, tired, ect. I told her that the hormones were not good for her so she replaced it. Shes doing much better. I think youre making a good choice.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 8:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• The bleeding can last as long as 6 months. It varies from woman to woman. Hormonal BC has been proven to NOT cause weight gain though. The hormones may be making you more hungry or retain more water, but the hormones themselves do not make you gain weight. I had the Mirena. I had it for 8 months. I went to the doctor at the 3 month mark and asked to be checked out since I was still bleeding. He said it's a typical side effect. He said that you can bleed up to 6 months. Well, 6 months came and went and I was still bleeding. Finally at 8 months I went to PP and had them remove it and put me on Ortho. Best choice ever. I stopped bleeding instantly and have had no problems. Check out the Mirena website http://www.mirena-us.com/what_expect/index.jsp. And also do your research on the copper IUD. Check out: http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/intrauterine-device-iud-for-birth-control.

Anonymous

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/birth-control-pill/WO00098

Women often blame the birth control pill for weight gain. But studies have shown that the effect of the birth control pill on weight is small — if it exists at all.

However, the way the hormones in birth control pills act on tissues in your breasts, hips and thighs can make you feel as if you've gained weight. This is usually due to fluid retention and not increased body mass or fat. Estrogen in birth control pills directly affects fat (adipose) cells, making them larger, but not greater in number.

In very rare circumstances women may add muscle, which can add weight, when taking the pill. This is due to the slight male-sex-hormone effect that the pill may have on some women.

But no matter if pill-related weight gain is perceived or real, many women find this side effect undesirable. Taking pills with a low dose of estrogen may diminish these effects.
    Anonymous

• I will NOT take pills because I'm trying to breastfeed and the mini-pill isn't very effective, from what I've learned by researching. I have researched every single form of birth control that I can find. All I am asking for is personal experiences with IUDs/IUCs. That's it. Progesting also isn't supposed to effect your milk supply, but it effected mine to the point where I've almost completely lost it despite my efforts to increase it (fenugreek, oatmeal, etc.). Plus, I have had problems with every form of hormonal birth control, whether they were emotional or physical or both, so I would like to know of other people's experiences, since the copper IUD has no hormones.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009