So- your kids were/ are dating...

It's all about boundaries...
No, you can't go into your bedroom, much less close the door.
Have you lost your mind?!

Of course the person may come over and watch videos. No, you may not lean on them.
Have you lost your mind?!

What boundaries did your kid push that caused you to ask:

Have you lost your mind?!

feralxat

Asked by feralxat at 12:37 AM on Jun. 16, 2012 in Teens (13-17)

• 17 year old son - my girlfriend got kicked out of her house can she stay here?
    me - for a couple of days she can sleep on the couch.
    17 year old son - why can't she just sleep with me?
    me - Have you lost your mind?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 8:33 PM on Jun. 16, 2012

• I have so many stories! LOL

Believe it or not, I was concerned for my boys because the girls were ALL over them, barely clothed, etc.

Here's one story, my oldest son was 15, freshman, had a cute little girlfriend. They were allowed in the family room and I would sit and read in the living room. Once, when she was over, they became very quiet, so I quietly snick into the kitchen and could see her fondling him and them kissing through the reflection of the refridgerator! I said, HANDS OFF, real loud and they jumped a foot in the air! My God, I felt like a walking condom for 8 years while both boys went through high school!
    Thank God we ALL survived, lol
    PMSMom10

Answer by PMSMom10 at 12:51 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• I have to honestly say that I am so thankful that I have not reached this stage yet & that I am SERIOUSLY dreading the teen years!
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 12:40 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• My oldest pushed every single boundary I set. Still remember the time the guy came over wreaking of marijuana.

Me- hey your boyfriend smells like pot

her- no he doesn't

Me- Girl, I am not stupid. They had pot around when I was a kid. I know damn well what it smells like

her- well, he said he was just standing by someone at the park that was smoking

Me- Either you tell him to leave, or I will

her- come on mom... He doesn't smoke pot. Besides, it doesn't smell that bad.

Me- Go to your room.....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:50 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• He's only 15 and so far, hasn't had any girls come over. In fact he and his 1 month gf just broke up. She said she "liked being single".
    Tesserae

Answer by Tesserae at 1:13 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• my son (15 at time) brought his girlfriend home once. She was a very sweet little girl called Clara and they would have some dinner with the family. They went into his room and sure they closed the door but it wasn't as if i couldn't walk in at any time. In fact, his older brother walked into his room while she was there and caught them kissing, his brother made fun of him for weeks! I guess i think that this is their time to be as carefree as possible and having strict rules on dating is just going to make them feel little. If my kids have boyfriends/girlfriends over they generally just take over the snug/kids tv room and watch whatever, most of the time with my other kids...i guess its just about trust.
    AntoniaLucie

Answer by AntoniaLucie at 4:18 PM on Jun. 16, 2012

• My daughter is a pretty good girl but boy do we have issues around the texting that she tries to push.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 17, 2012

• DD, DF and I wound up at the Costco.
    DD told me her "friend" was having problems driving and texting. WTF? How old is he?
    My age (13) he's driving a shopping cart.
    I thought to myself, wander if he's at the Costco.

I'll be damned- this kid was at the Costco- went there to meet up with her while we were shopping...she got the phone taken away for a week after she lied about how he knew we were there.

Umm...silly girl- I can read your texts!
    The poor boy knew she was getting caught in a lie and didn't know what the hell to do about it. To his credit, he kept his mouth shut.
    feralxat

Comment by feralxat (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Jun. 16, 2012

• so far I havent had any "have you lost your mind" moments.

mine are 17 & 15.
    17 yr old daughter has had a couple dates, 15 yr old son has not dated yet.

I expect them to try to push boundries... that is normal for this age. We have told them that they are allowed to POLITELY question our rules (with in reason) if they have a good reason, alternative, etc. So far when they have asked for things and given us a well thought out reason we have been willing to rethink. Some times the answer is still no.... sometimes we change our minds.
    Anonymous

• feralxat.... Im wondering why the boy being at costco was so horrible you had to take away your daughters phone.

If the boy was 13 and had a cart... wouldnt he have been with a parent? Is your daughter not allowed to see/talk to boys at 13?

Im guessing there is more to the story because from what you typed that seemed a pretty extreme move on your part.
    Anonymous