Would you be scared to have another child if...

Would you be scared/worried to have another child if you have a child with Autism?

I really want to have another child but my husband is very agianst it.Our son who is almost 5 has Autism.We love him more than live itself but I'm not going to lie...It is very hard to raise a child with Autism.It can be very challenging.
He doesent think we would be able to handle this if it were to happen a second time.I love my little boy so much and I think it would benefit him to have a sibling.I also wonder what it would be like to have a typical child Is that wrong of me? What are the chances of our next child having this disorder?
Would you even try to concieve another child or have you? I would love to hear everyones feelings on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• I have a 7 year old child with autism. When he was 5 I found out I was expecting again. I can tell you I was a little afraid, but the baby (17 months) is NT. He laughs, "talks", makes eye contact! Things his brother never did. I know there is a chance that another baby could have it, but there's also the possibility that it won't.

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 8:40 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yes i would be scared but they say not all kids will have it
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:13 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It is likely that most cases of autism are passed down through families. Couples who have one child with autism are more likely to have a second child with autism than couples who do not have a child with autism.1
    Boys are up to 4 times more likely than girls to have autism.4

References
    Citations

Volkmar FR, Pervasive developmental disorders.
    http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/ss/ss5601.pdf.
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 9:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I would be a little nervous, but the chances of having multiple children with autism is not common. There is nothing wrong with wanting a child that you can teach certain things that a child with autism would not understand and relate to. Like hunting, or sports, or whatever else you would pass on...Best wishes to you on your decision..
    Katilina

Answer by Katilina at 9:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I dont want to sound mean with my above statement... I got the information off a website... call Health. com
    1ontheway

Answer by 1ontheway at 9:28 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I understand the thought of being scared. I personally cannot answer this, I have no clue what your life is like, you must be very strong person. Maybe you could take your husband to a counselor who could give you the risk percentage. Good Luck!

megkel

Answer by megkel at 10:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• We didn't worry about it. I have autism, our oldest son does too and probably my husband too. However we had another kid. But we also don't view autism like the rest of the world.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My oldest has autism and we had another before she was diagnosed. It was always on my mind and we watch her sisters closely but we now have 4 girls. Only my oldest has any autism characteristics. :D
    luna04

Answer by luna04 at 9:52 AM on Feb. 1, 2009