i am a first time mom, my daughter is 16 months old and we are still in the wierd conversion time from baby food to adult food. she does well with mash potatoes, cheese and a few others but i am still having trouble getting her to eat well in general and it's worrying me quite a bit. any suggestions?

she has jaw teeth for chewing the tougher foods, just not eating much of them and i'm worried she's not getting enough. i can't hardly get a veggie in her unless it's in a gerber jar and i'm trying to break her of that, even homemade veggies i make myself and mash to a consistency i think she'd like she refuses. HELP! i'm trying to do the right thing here but i refuse to go back to baby food.

zzarw82zz

Asked by zzarw82zz at 8:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My little girl is now 2yo, but she switched herself over to the same food the rest of us were eating at around 8 months. She just woke up one day and refused baby food and formula, she would only eat and drink what her big brothers were. lol. She goes through sperts where she will eat a lot and others where she barely touches anything I give her. I just remember that she will eat what she needs, and that our food fills her up faster than baby food. She (and you) will be just fine. :)
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My DD is 18 1/2 months old and she still prefers jarred baby foods over table food. She does like mashed potatoes and a few other 'soft ' food but can't stand anything with real texture to it. It doesn't bother me because the dr says that she is getting all the things she needs in the jarred foods.
    Anonymous

• my daughter is 12 months old and she eats anything now. She even eats potato chips if she sees her 3.5 yr old sister eatting them. She isn't on baby food anymore she hasn't been since she was 10 months old.
    Anonymous

• Just make a couple different things and let her try them,go to a buffet. Spagetti is a good one,sweet potatoes,french fries,you can also get the gerber graduates that are like little meals.
    JonahsMom1107

Answer by JonahsMom1107 at 10:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I am in that weird stage with my DD too. What Im doing is for breakfas I give her baby rice cereal mixed with one jar baby food, mid morning snack I give her a finger food like goldfish, nillas, banana slices, anything simple for her to pick up, at lunch she eats pb&j or ez mac or oodle noodles something that she really ist interested in lol and I just let her taste it or play with it its just getting her comfortable with the idea of real food, for afternoon snack she usually shares apple slices with brother or a yogurt cup, for dinner I make her rice babyfood mix and also give her little bits off our plates to try. So far it seems to be working for us. My doctor said as long as she gets one bowl of babyrice cereal each day, she will get enough vitimins, the rest is just for calories
    MsMESSx2

Answer by MsMESSx2 at 3:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009