Tell me I am right. WAY to young for Marti Gras

My son is 2. My mom calls saying that my Grandmother is coming to visit her then they are headed to N.O. to stay with family and go to Marti Gras. Its gonna be on my B-day this year and would total love to go, but I do not think that a 2 year old needs to go. Aside of the stuff that he could be exposed to, I am scared that he will get lost ot run in front of a float. Well I told her that we had plans already. Which we do, but she is making me feel guilty for not wanting to go. I am right for not wanting my son to go right? I mean I will have the chance to see my WHOLE family again, but they are gonna want to be out the whole time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:38 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• A child that young would easily be overwhelmed by the crowds.

Answer by Bmat at 8:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• go just have someone u trust keep ur son.
    mamaof2boys148

Answer by mamaof2boys148 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• If you feel that it is a dangerous situation, then of course, you are right. You make the decisions. Tell your mom that you will sacrifice going, because you need to be a parent.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• way too young. my son is two now and i decided that i wanted to go to the mardi gras in my town before i moved to another state (its much smaller than new orleans and safer too). my son was 1 1/2 and it was horrible. you cant enjoy it because you are too busy making sure nothing hits him in the head like it did my son (beads) or that people dont fall on him trying to catch the throws. trust me either dont go or dont take your son. i learned the hard way if you take him then you will be too busy to have fun.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 9:04 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes you are right. I wouldn't bring a 2 yo to Marti gras.

Answer by louise2 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I live in houston, so we go to Mardi gras in galveston...
    I would take my 2yo for the day time to see the floats & stuff.. but i would get FAR from there before the night time activities started up.
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I went to New Orleans during Mardi Gras when I was 5, the whole town isn't completely consumed, the worst area to be is the French Quarter. The parades are quite a sight, but I do agree that he is too young to be around that area when the parties start up. why not meet her in one of the surrounding towns, like Kenner or New Iberia? that way your close to the city, but there isn't as much tourism
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't go to Mardi Gras as an adult, let alone take a child of any age. If your family doesn't understand that....that's their problem.
    Anonymous

• (lifelong New Orleans girl here....)

I agree with a previous poster (anonymous 10:13pm, Jan30)....I would not attend Mardi Gras as an adult, much less bring my children. It has been sad to see what Mardi Gras has become over the years, not at all the nice family event it was when we were children. While my husband and I love the parades, we no longer enjoy "Mardi Gras." Instead, we go to the smaller, family-oriented parades in the surrounding smaller cities and really enjoy the annual St. Patrick's day parade, as well. Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision!
    catholicmamamia

Answer by catholicmamamia at 10:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yeah ive been there and its no place for people under 18 sound crazy but trust me. 80% of the women that go are walking around stark naked as well as men and theres things flying from the crowd and the floast and everyones drunk. you were right and i would tell your mom what you said next time plan on something that is kid friendly and ill be there but if its not expect the same no. im not talking chucky cheese or disney on ice just something that dosent require putting him a plactic bubble and hoping it wont pop! now if you can get someone to watch him while u go then have fun but otherwise a deffinent nono in my opinon. good job
    everydayspeachy

Answer by everydayspeachy at 1:47 AM on Jan. 31, 2009