My son is about to turn 7 in February and he still wets the bed at night any ideas?

Last year he went and had a catheter done (very painful for a 6 year old, he was brave and did not cry!) they measured his bladder and said it was smaller than normal for his age. Did not find any other problems. He normally goes to bed at around 8:30 he goes to the bathroom before bed we then wake him at around 11:00 before we go to the bed but he rarely stays dry. They had given us medicine to help "dry" him out but he has eczema and this only made it worse. We have no idea what else we can do?

momof8602

Asked by momof8602 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in General Parenting

• Have you tried restricting drinks like a few hours before bed?
    Anonymous

• well i dont know what to do with getting him to stop wetting the bed, but they have underwear now that is almost like pull ups that maybe you should get for him. that way until you figure out why he is doing it, it will keep the bed dry.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• He may just have to grow out of it. My nephew was in his teens before he grew out of it. Some kids just dont wake up. They sleep so hard tht they never feel the urge. Have you tried the alarm pads that they have?
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I wet the bed until I was 8. Same problem with my bladder as your son, plus I was a VERY deep sleeper. Using a doctor's advice, my mom ordered a bedwetting alarm. It had a thin sheet that went under my fitted sheet, and when I peed, the alarm went off and woke me up. My mom would come in, change the sheets, change my clothes, and I'd go back to bed. Within 2 weeks, my body was trained to wake up and go if I needed to. I never wet the bed again! You can google "bed wetting alarms" to find them. Best wishes. I feel bad for your little guy. It's hard to be a bedwetter!
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 8:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my lil bro had the same problem until he was 15, the doctor gave him a nasal spray that has some kind of medicine in it (sorry don't remember it) but it worked wonders and he quit right away.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:00 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• has anything traumatic happen
    britme1027

Answer by britme1027 at 9:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes we have tried restricting drinks, he does where goodnights and he is a very hard sleeper. He has had a lot of other medical issues, such as acid reflux, asthma, allergies, eczema. He did not sleep for about the first two years, (we slept in a recliner every night). I do not want to make a big deal about it b/c I know he is self conscious. His asthma/allergy Dr. has said that typically children will outgrow it by about 7. I keep hoping and praying but I don't see any end in sight. We had to switch from regular pullups to goodnights b/c they hold more. He sometimes goes so much that I still have to change the sheets
    momof8602

Answer by momof8602 at 9:14 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is 12 and still does it a lot. We had to switch from goodnites to adult diapers cause he got too big (wanna know something, adult diapers are cheaper). I'm sure he'll outgrow it someday. Nasal spray sounds interesting...have to check it out.
    oliduskah

Answer by oliduskah at 9:25 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• maybe he is having night terrors!
    Anonymous

• I know it isn't fun, but I would just be understanding, do what you can to help him through it and give it time. He'll be ok
    Anonymous