How long did it take your baby to accept a pacifire?

I was just wondering because my baby is a month and four days old and doesn't seem to like them that much, but will tolerate them for a little bit.

Asked by Poopie08 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Mine never took one, but I only ever tried as a last resort. Pacifiers aren't needed at all.

Answer by celticreverie at 9:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Don't force it on the baby. Some kids just don't like them. Kids don't NEED them.

• WHy would you want your baby to take a pacifier? Thats just one more thing to have to take away in a year. Babies don't need them and they are bad for oral development and fall on the floor and are just gross in general! JMO! Be thankful your baby doesn't want one.

Answer by navy-wife at 8:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I agree with navy-wife!!! Throw them away and be glad! They're totally not necessary.

Answer by StarLee at 8:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my son now age 3 never took to it. after a few days i said ok he dosent want it so forget it. which i guess was good cause there was no weaning him off it. i guess some take it some dont.

Answer by tabbys4 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• if she doesn't want it, don't force it. Generally it's a good thing that means she/he won't be dependent on it in the future.

• my son took a paci in the hospital right after he was born. some kids just dont like them. take that as a blessing bc once they are on them-some can be difficult to break. take it as one less habit you have to break your baby from.

Answer by SThompson21 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Mine took hers immediately. I say if yours doesn't want it don't force it. I'm happy mine likes her pacifier cuz my thumb sucking lasted wayyyyy too long and now my son is 5 and still sucks his. I don't want my daughter to get caught up by the curse of the family thumb-sucking! i think it should be used more for when a baby finishes eating but still needs that sucking sensations; that's really the only time they need it.

• My first child accept her pacifier when she was only hours born. it was hard for me to take it away from her. She let it go till she was 18 months. My new born is 2 months and he does not like the pacifier. I think is just that some babies dont like pacis. Dont force the baby to likle it. its even better that he doenst like it then they dont want to let it go.

Answer by hmomr at 9:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My dd was picky. Hers had to be round like a bulb or she would not take them. Maybe your LO doesnt like the shape.

Answer by BIMOM21 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 30, 2009