UNION

Has anyone worked for the Union. Ralphs is from the union. Do You need to pay them? If so how much?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Money & Work

• Every union is different. Yes, you do need to pay union dues. I don't know who Ralph is. Sorry.
    Anonymous

• It depends on where you work, how much you pay. Usually, you pay most of it to be reprented and you pay it even if you don't join the union. It's a law that they collect from you just for negotiating the contract your working under. You won't be able to vote or be represented though, if you have a grievance.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Depends on where you live. Ralphs is out west isn't it? If you live in a Right to Work state (like Tennessee where I live) you can work for a company and choose not to pay dues. They can't stop you, but if you live in a different state that is not Right to work, then you would be required to join the union and pay monthly dues.
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:09 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes, we are members of a union- my hubby is a shop steward- which means he represents the worker in any disciplinary type of situation. We do pay dues, but we also get paid more than we would otherwise. We also have job protection and benefits. This means that when I get sick I can call in without fear of getting fired- and then I can go to the Dr cuz we get health insurance. Some things can suck- like when you get stuck working with losers who can't get fired without a bunch of documentation, but all in all, I am pro-union. We get laid off every winter- union protection guarantees our job back in the spring...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• You pay dues. Our Ralph's workers make less than those who work at Target, Walmart and Winco. Their benefits are not as good either but they get to pay dues. Yeah. eye rollingRalph's prices are very high. I can go to Winco and pay less than half. Yeah.eye rolling

Anonymous

• Union dues are expensive. Its like paying for job security insurance.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009