My son is 13 months old and still doesn't eat anything.I am nursing full time, he won't even take a bottle.What can I do to get him to start eating?

Samsonsmommy

Asked by Samsonsmommy at 9:20 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Nothing. He is getting all he needs from nursing right now. Some babies take longer than 12 months to get ready for solids. As long as he is growing and hitting all him milestones, I wouldn't push them. Always offer, but never force. CONGRATS for doing whats best for your little man!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:31 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Try sitting him at table with the big people at meal time, and give him small amounts of what you are eating. Don't nurse him before. After mealtime, offer the *boob* lol, just keep doing this. Make it fun, and include him in the chatter around the table. Don't EVER say something is YUCKY or so and so doesn't like it- keep talking about how good it is, how healthy food makes your body grow, let him know what it can do for him!! More energy to play, grow, etc. You'd be surprised by how much he absorbing from his surroundings. Just keep mealtime fun and low pressure. Don't make him finish, or make a big deal out of his food- but PRAISE the heck out of any behavior you'd like to see repeated!!! Good luck- and as long as you are eating healthfully, he should be ok until he discovers how much fun food is!!
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• sounds normal & healthy to me =) delaying solids is great for little bellies.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:55 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Keep trying different things. Eventually he will show an interest. I think it's a little early to really be concerned about it. Maybe if he's not eating anything else at 18 mos. .... but now yet, I wouldn't worry.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 10:06 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It is not going to hurt him if he waits longer to eat food. The nursed milk is better anyways. I know how you feel though I was feeling the same way when my daughter was younger. Although she would take a bottle. Have you tried different brands of nipples on him? Maybe he just doesn't like that specific kind. Or maybe try using a shield when you breastfeed him, I had to use that for my daughter so it was an easy transition for her to try a bottle and food. They are very easy to use, that way he will still be getting the same thing only it'll prepare him for different things. Then when my daughter was old enough for cereal, she wouldnt eat it. So we got a nipple with a very large hole in it and slowly thickened her milk with the cereal powder. (almost like a milkshake lol) she did very well with this and it was much easier when it came to feeding her food. Good luck! :) hope this helped!
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Please don't do anything. Offer solids, but don't worry. He will eat when he is ready and there will be no stopping. Readiness for solids is a developmental thing, some babies take a bit longer. Your milk gives him everything he needs. :)
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 4:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009