Do you wear prescription eyeglasses?

I went in and got my eyes retested today. the exam was covered by insurance, so we only had the $10 co-pay out of $175. But the frames were $299, and the lenses are $289. plus $85 for a non-reflective coating. this is what we pay after the insurance pays $150 on the lenses. Does anybody else find this a HUGE ripoff for glasses to cost so much?

pagan_mama

Asked by pagan_mama at 9:47 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yeah i wear contacts and glasses, sooo expensive!
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yup... glasses are crazy expensive... i have a very slight script, and mine are $$, by my hubby who's practically blind and needs the really thin lenses (or else they would be coke bottles) are $$$$$!!!!
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 9:49 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• ugh I know I spent almost 300 but I had a cupon for a free eye exam. Eye Masters is soooo expensive. I think next time ill go to wal mart or target.
    Anonymous

• I just went and bought a pair of glasses for back-up. I normally wear contacts,which cost an arm and a leg on their own,but needed a back-up in case of an ulcer,which i've had alot of lately. I opted for the cheapest lenses and found a great frame for $18 and ended up only paying $51 after tax at Wal-Mart. (And I have double vision BTW so it may be cheaper if you have the same prescription in both eyes.)
    pinkclover

Answer by pinkclover at 10:02 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• It depends, I work for health insurance and it depends what eye doctor you went to and what type of frames you got. Some frames are designer name. Usually they give you a quote before you are required to pay for them. Your insurance only allows so much for frames and what they paid is actually what most insurances pay for. I had got some frames and were designer ones and still had to pay out of pocket.

Anonymous

• I have glasses and contacts. my glasses ran 250. contacts 90 bucks for two boxes for each eye. Then i get word the other day my son needs glasses. So i just shelled out 215 for his. My insurance only covers eyeglass exams. i have to pay for the contact exam and all contacts and glasses. so really no help from them. Having bad eyes sucks!
    YamahaGoddess

Answer by YamahaGoddess at 10:03 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• my insurance is just like yamaha's
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 10:05 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes indeed. Very very expensive. I have progressive lenses, lenses that are thin so they don't weigh as much, a coating on them against scratches, and UV protection. In addition the only metal I can wear is platinum, so the frames are expensive. I'd say I end up paying $500 for just the glasses after a 20% discount.

Answer by Bmat at 10:08 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Whoa where did you go? I had NO insurance to get my first glasses last year and I went to Vision Works. The exam was $58 and the glasses were on a special so I got 2 for like $120. I think I spent maybe $300 for both the glasses I have now. Oh lol I guess it also depends on the frames.. my friend got a Gucci frame for $300.. my frames were like $60.
    sweetvietchic

Answer by sweetvietchic at 10:12 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yeah they are i sat down and calculated how much i was going to pay for the rest of my life and lasix was cheaper so i did that. I have a lifetime warrantee on my eyes now and i got a payment plan not to bad
    emtmommyamanda

Answer by emtmommyamanda at 10:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009