i want my kids to sleep in their cribs until around 2 1/2 years old, but i want to potty train at about 2. has anyone done daytime potty training only at first and waited until later to do nightime potty training? does it work?

tstep972

Asked by tstep972 at 10:21 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My only concern is that if they're trained during the day and wake at night knowing they need to go to the potty, they can't get out of the crib to go...so they might try to climb out and break a leg. (my cousin broke hers getting out of her crib) I just think it sends mixed signals doing day and then night (or vice versa) instead of just potty training.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most cribs (that I know of) have height limits....something to keep an eye on for those who keep their toddlers in for extended times.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Believe ir or not my daughter potty trained herself. We were watching Jon & Kate plus eight and at that pointt he girls were done and she still had two boys left to do. Kate's idea of m & m's works. If it really is a treat then it will work. My daughter saw the little boy going on his chair and getting a reward and away she went. Since mastering the daytime thing and shutting off her fluid intake an hour before bed she is just about there. I would say she has maybe one night a week that her pullup has a little pee in it. Also putting her in pj's that she can pull down herself and keeping a potty chair in her room helped her master it even faster.
    my2girlsvt

Answer by my2girlsvt at 10:39 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• I potty trained my daughter only day time right now and iam waiting later to nightime i dont even know how to start nightime training.. So yes my daughter is only daytime potty trained .
    lorenzosgurl

Answer by lorenzosgurl at 10:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My daughter is daytime potty trained, I imagine it will be a long while before she is night time trained.
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 11:26 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son will be 2 and 1/2 in march he is day time potty trained. I put him in a diaper at night, but I don't give him anything to drink at a certain time at night and usually he wakes up dry or close to it.
    proudmamma9706

Answer by proudmamma9706 at 12:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009