having trouble with a 2yr old biting, hitting & screaming...any suggestions

got custody of my gdaughter 6 months ago...mom has infrequent supervised visits. When she does come to see her we deal with "naughty" behaviors for days.

gmaofthree

Asked by gmaofthree at 10:34 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My first thought is that something about mom triggers this. Unfortunately, 2yr olds aren't very good at communicating complex concepts. If you don't see this behavior at other times, you might want to investigate further. This could be done by the person supervising the visits closely observing their interactions or a pediatric psychologist might use "play therapy" to determine the cause.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 12:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'm sure you would know if there was some sort of abuse or neglet to cause this behavior, also if there wasn't she may be acting out because of the absence of her mom. Either way I would explain and encourage her to talk about her feelings (although she may not talk back) let her know that it is 100% ok to feel those feelings but that it is NOT ok to express them by hitting, biting and so on and then follow through and show her that those actions are not acceptable by putting her in time-out (1min per yr of age)...Both of my kids respond very well to time-out (they do get one warning most of the time if it's appropriate, violence though usually doesn't get a warning in our house) I know it will be hard at first because of what she's been through but you definetly want to define boundaries early on so that she doesn't test you later and it will be easier for you both...good luck :)
    badd_kitten

Answer by badd_kitten at 12:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• That sounds like a mommy issue its obveouly upsetting her in some way. i would ask the person supervising the visits and see if they can maybe come by the next day and show them what its doing to her and keep a log of when it starts and when it quits maybe that will determine more of whats going on. she could just being senceing the stress in the home or it could be the mother. if its the mother something id deffently not right and needs to be brought up. theres also a possiblilty she knows mom let her get away with it and maybe i still can. hope this helped
    everydayspeachy

Answer by everydayspeachy at 12:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009