What can I do to get my daughter to walk on her own?

My little one is almost 15 months. But still won't walk on her own. It wasn't until she was about a year old that she was standing on her own well. I try not to carry her and hold her hands to make her walk on her own. And, I have tried to let go but she always flops on the floor as soon as she realizes she is no longer holding my fingers. She is a smart little girl and picks up on things really easily. I just am not sure what I can do to help her to walk on her own. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

babybethsmom07

Asked by babybethsmom07 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Do not stress about the whole walking situation. I am speaking from experience. Sounds lie your daughter is doing the things she is supposed to leading up to walking. She will walk when she is ready. My son is 16 months old and is in the same boat. At 15 months, he was doing what your daughter is doing. Now, he walks about a metre on his own and then plops to the ground. So, he is gradually getting there and so will your daughter. I am thinking that our children are just being careful :) Be thankful, this may not always be the case, ha ha.
    Oh, one things that works and my son loves to do is both my husband and I sit across from one another and he will walk from one of us to the other. We slowly move father and farther apart. It is a fun game for him and he gets some walking practice in.
    IsaacMom2007

Answer by IsaacMom2007 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• mine always walked along with one of those toys that you can hold onto and to help them walk...and i always put her in her walker to help her.
    Anonymous

• Does she have any toys that are taller and she can hold onto for balance? (like a small table or something like this product http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3238400) My daughter had 2 different toys but they both allowed her to stand at them and keep her balance. I would place them next to each other but far enough apart that she had to walk atleast a step to get to the other toy. I would pretend to not be watching and after a little while it worked. Or I would sit on a couch and put her at the love seat (they were across from eachother) and grab her favorite toy and make her want to run right over and get it (you could probably try this with her favorite anything, snack, juice, blankie or whatever) I had to do this because my daughter wasn't wanting to walk either.. she was just being lazy lol it worked though good luck! :)
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My DD will be 1 tomorrow and stands on her own for long periods of time and will walk if you hold her hand and such but the second you let go she's crawling around beside me. She won't walk along furniture or anything. We've tried to get a couple steps but she just plops right back down. She's been doing this for months. They kinda just get it on there own when they feel comfortable. The dr's always say the longer they crawl the better. I don't know just thought I would let you know I'm kinda going through this faze too.
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 10:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Two thoughts: 1) my daughter "suddenly" started walking at 13 months, so I'd say wait it out -- when she's ready she'll do it and pressuring her won't change a thing 2) talk to her pediatrician to be sure there isn't a physical reason why she's not walking. If there's not, I can assure you she WILL walk eventually! She just hasn't realized how much more trouble she can get in. (Then you'll wonder why you were so anxious for her to start!)
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Had a similar prob with DD until we stopped taking her with us when we left the room. She found that by walking she got places a lot quicker than by crawling. If she crawled into a room we left as soon as she got there and if she walked than we got down and played with her. Just an idea!
    lilmomma050207

Answer by lilmomma050207 at 12:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• what helped out my daughter was the push toy, got that for her one week shy of 11 months old and at 11 months old she was walking.
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 2:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• As a grandma who has watched 6 grow up, and a former day care provider for many years, I say that children are wonderful little people with minds of their own, and the one thing we can not do is put them in a box. They are their own people and when they are ready they will do what they are supposed to. It sounds like little one loves mamma and is still just very tied to being with mamma. It you want to try practicing walking alone, just do maybe a foot at a time and then expand. Using incentives are wonderful, but only some times. Oh, and by the way. hug, yell , hollar clap, whatever it takes to say " that a girl". Have fun! She is only little for a short while!
    craftymeme

Answer by craftymeme at 8:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son started walking on his 13 month birthday. All we did was hold one of his hands for a long time and he would walk along side of us. Finally the day he started walking he stood up holding onto his highchair and then just took off. The rest of the day he was walking around like he had been doing it for weeks. She'll walk when she comfortable with it. All kids walk at some point. If you really want her to walk now get her a little thing that she can hold onto and walk behind. We got one for my son at Walmart for $10 it's just red with some balls on the front and a couple little things with pictures on it that he can play with, it can also be turned into a wagon he can pull around when he gets older. He couldn't figure out how to turn it at first but if you practice with her a bunch and turn her around when she gets stuck she'll figure it out.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 9:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Thank you all so much for your advice. As a first time mom, I think I am just a little worried about things that she "should" be doing by this age. At her 1 yr old check up she wasn't standing without help very well and the dr said if there wasn't improvement at her 15 month check up she may have to go to physical therapy. She has came a very long ways since then. She does walk along the furniture, and with very little help. But her appt is in 3 weeks, and was just a little worried. And, I do have a feeling with her I will miss these days. But again thank you all for the words of encouragement and advice!
    babybethsmom07

Answer by babybethsmom07 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009