• In the Spotlight:

how can i help my child speak?

my child is having problems getting ahead in her speach. i want to know if there are certain things i can do to help her talk more. she will start doing speach therapy but i would like to start working with her at the house as well. i wold really appriciate it if you would help me with some pointers to help my child at our house.
thank you for listening i look forward to hearing from you soon.
thank you

NicholesMom2006

Asked by NicholesMom2006 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Read a lot to her and point to objects in the pictures and keep repeating the word. That is what I did with my daughter. I was always pointing at something and telling her what the object was while we were in the house, store, outside, in the car. She will start repeating you. Don't worry, she will get the hang of it. The speech therapy will be a big help.
    GoGreenMom68

Answer by GoGreenMom68 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Read a lot- it is a way to demonstrate speech in a fun way. Sing. Do the animal game- what do horses say, what do dogs say, and so forth. Nursery rhymes are good.

Answer by Bmat at 11:01 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• A friend of mine had the same problem with her daughter, and we started having play dates with are kids and it helped, she is talking a lot more, maybe try that take her to the park to interact with other kids or she if your friends or family that have small kids would like to get together for a play date it really does work.
    nathansmommy24

Answer by nathansmommy24 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• My son is in speech therapy, his teacher says to talk and repeat alot. The repeating is kind of tiring, but it works. Pretty soon, he was copying words after I said them once. Him going to daycare with other children helps also.
    coutterhill

Answer by coutterhill at 1:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Just keep modeling good speech for her. If she points to what she wants instead of speaking, then make sure she at least tries to say the word. If she uses one word to express herself, ;you extend what she is saying. Ex. Your daughter says, cookie or cuk, then you say,Oh you want a cookie. Talk to her a lot naming everything. Another thing that you can do to help her speech therapy along is to keep her ears free of fluid or infection. She has to be able to hear well every day.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 3:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Good modeling is the biggest help....reading and labeling everything. Other specific things depend on her age and the area of her delay. I have two in speech with two different delays, two different ages and they are handled differently by their therapist. (same one for both boys)

My 2 year old is severely delayed...with him we use "motherese" speaking in 2-3 word phrases so our speech is slower for him to grasp and catch on. We're also enrolling him in an age specific play group so he will be around others his own age to help him catch on to speech. Multiple syllable words are broken down..and sing-songy.

My 3 year old is moderately delayed with articulation. We emphasize certain letter sounds to help him become more conscious of how he pronounces his words...f, l, s, z, m..at the beginning, middle and ends of words. We draw the sound out and he repeats it.

There's more but I'm at the end...hate multiple posts.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2009