How do you explain death to a 2 1/2 year old?

I just had to put my dog to sleep and about 5 weeks ago my DH's grandfather died. My daughter keeps asking where they are and gets upset that she can't find them but doesn't understand when I tell her they are in Heaven and went with Jesus. Any advice would be great. It breaks my heart everytime I have to explain it to her and when she looks for them.

DLS0702

Asked by DLS0702 at 10:59 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• well ive never done this but i would continue to tell him what you are telling him, but be specific, tell him WHERE heaven is, (in the sky) and that they can't come down from there cuz its so far, if he asks why he can't see them, i would tell him they are too far and the clouds or the blue sky is in the way. or maybe even tell him they are so far you can barely see them, only at night, they are the stars, but that might get confusing at school when her learns what they really are lol, i hope i helped even a little lol,
    Trinity32188

Answer by Trinity32188 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'm not exactly sure what to tell you, but my only advice is something I learned from a hospice workshop I went to. Do not use the word "sleeping" while you are explaining (such as they are going to sleep for a long long time) because then they will think they or someone they love might die when they fall asleep. I just remember them telling us to just explain death as their body is no longer working, they don't see, hear, taste or feel with their bodies anymore. You can explain whatever you believe about their soul, but make it clear you won't see their bodies again and that their bodies don't do anything a living person does, jump, eat, play, sing, etc. I hope that helps, I wish I had something more specific!
    Aimee139

Answer by Aimee139 at 12:41 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• They will get the point....as of now...they dont care...
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• There are quite a few books available on death. One is called "I MIss You" and another is "What is Heaven." Check with your local library for some other titles. The pictures and message of the book may help her understand more.
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 2:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009