My 1 year old Rottweiler licks EVERYTHING and EVERYONE constantly ALL DAY long. Why does he do this and how do I get him to stop!

Why does he do this and how can I get him to stop?  I have tried all the bitter sprays and hot sauces (he likes them all), we've used physical correction too. He licks furniture, walls, floors, people, clothes, toys, rocks, sidewalks, himself...basically everything he can touch. He does this most of his waking hours.  He makes everything stink like dog slobber! 

Amblan

Asked by Amblan at 10:54 AM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Pets

• There are sprays that make things taste bitter. Pick the things you really don't want him likcing and squirt away.

Although I have to say my Peke does it too and I can only get her to stop temporarily.

Answer by gdiamante at 10:58 AM on Jun. 18, 2012

• if I knew that answer I would do that for my dog as well. he is Rott/Catahoula mix and is a non-stop licker!! drives me CRAZY!!! I finally have to tell him to get back because he will sit and lick, lick, lick!!
    goofygalno1

Answer by goofygalno1 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 18, 2012

• We have friends whose dog did the same thing. They make a ferimone spray that repels the dog. You just spray it on your clothes, socks and shoes. It really works.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 11:13 AM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Is he nervous? You can talk to your vet about something to calm him. My dog only licks himself when he's nervous, excited or scared. It's annoying to hear.....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:23 AM on Jun. 18, 2012

• This may sound cruel, but maybe try muzzle training? I'd talk to your vet 1st tho. GL!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 11:29 AM on Jun. 18, 2012

• check with your vet.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:30 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I have heard the reason they do this is because they were weaned to quickly. My dog was a puppy mill rescue and we were told she will most likely do this for a few years. If she's got a rawhide bone, she's fine. but if not she'll lick me, the couch, the pillows, whatever.
    I have a wet butt cheek right now. That's where she is licking while I'm typing!!
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:26 PM on Jun. 18, 2012