Breastfeeding is very difficult for me, please help!

I've been breastfeeding my week old baby and since day one it has been difficult and painful. I can't get my baby to latch on correctly. It can take up to 40 minutes trying and when he does it still hurts because my nipples are already sore. I want to nurse him so badly and I don't want to give up. I have a breast pump, but only a little bit of milk comes out. I want the best for my baby and I am trying so hard. But the pain is too much and it upsets me to make my baby wait so long to latch on and eat. I feel like a failure already and I will feel worse and defeated if I go to just formula feeding. I'm not able to enjoy my baby cause I am so worried that he isn't getting enough, how bad it is going to hurt, and it taking so long to get him on. I knew it wouldn't be easy and I took classes and seen a lactation consultant,but I just can't seem to do it. I feel so bad and disappointed in myself. Help. :(

crystal1480

Asked by crystal1480 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can try a breast shield, that might help with your own discomfort. However, I would ask his Pedi about it, have you made sure that he is not Tongue tied?? That can affect his latch. Otherwise, I would definately try to see a lactation consultant again and see if they can help you figure out what is going on.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 11:37 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• The first 2 weeks are the hardest. You WILL get it and your nips will toughen up too.
    I'd say get a breast shield as well. Also, Only resort to the pump for "extra" milk. Keep bfing
    Anonymous

• I would go with the shield too they had to give me one in th hospital with my 3wk old that got us started and we have been going string ever sence. We got rid of the shield after about 3 days. GOOD LUCK. I have 3 kids and this baby is the first one I have been able to BF because of latching problems.
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 11:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Do you have any lanolin? that is the only thing that saved me when nursing my first! Also has anyone shown you the c cup hold to make your nipple easier to latch on to? basically take your index finger and thumb in the shape of a c above and below your nipple and kinda squish your breast if you will. It extends your nipple and makes it easier for the baby to latch all the way onto the areola and all! Good luck and hang in there the pain will go away after a little while I cried everytime i nursed the first week and a half or so it was excruciating but you can get thru it!
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 11:44 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• Yes, I did talk to a his pedi. about this and she referred another consultant. I am going to try she shield again, I used it in the hospital and it didn't work either. So I will go to the other consultant tomorrow morning. I just don't know what to do. Do yall really think a week hasn't been long enough? i'm worried cause my husband goes back to work in a week and he is a big help. So I am scared. Keep the advice coming, I appreciate all of it!
    crystal1480

Answer by crystal1480 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 30, 2009

• yeah a week is NOT a lot of time... BFing is gods way to feed a baby, it will work just keep trying. and def try a nip shield and stay positive, dont get frustrated, baby can sense that.
    Anonymous

• NO a week is not enough time you should def keep trying. You can do it!!!!!
    edgpag

Answer by edgpag at 12:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My baby never had a problem with latching on. I'm lucky in that way. But the first 16 days was extremely painful for me. I would cry, bite on a pillow and breastfeed my daughter. After the first two weeks, it got much easier for me. There were times I got sensiitive over the months, but, nothing like the beginning. I would call the hospital you delivered at and ask for a lactation consultant and they will help your baby latch on correctly and then use lanolin for your nipples...and bare with the pain for awhile...you can do it! I'm actually in the process of weaning my daughter of the booby, she will be 14 months old in a couple of days. I only nurse her once a night before bed now...it used to be all day long it seemed like....at least 7 times a day. So, good luck to you!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 12:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i was in terrible pain the entire 1st month. but it does get better. put shredded iced carrots in your nursing pads for a while for the pain. you can also use nipple cream. pumping a little doesn't mean you're making a little. that's a fact. no pump can express what baby's natural motion can, therefor not everything comes out. keep putting him to breast. manually express a little before feedings to help let down happen faster for when he's eager to eat. always offer the breast & never wait til he's crying from hunger. get as much of the areola in his mouth as you can.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 12:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• breastfeeding is hard... and you are doing a fine job! I had a terrible time breastfeeding at first and it took 6 weeks before we both had it down. I found that positioning my son's head so it looked like this
    http://www.llli.org/images/LVFebMar04lv-latch-11.jpg
    Was what helped me get his latch corrected... so that your nipple points at his nose. It's called asymmetrical latch.
    Here is the page that talks about it: http://www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVFebMar04p3.html
    Keep at it... you can do it!!!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2009