Breastfeeding

how do i know if my mil is drying up? my son is only 10 days old and since yesterday my breasts have not been "filling up" and he wants to eat almost every hour, and when he started feeding after my milk came in last tuesday he would go maybe 2 or three hours in between feedings. could this be because im not making enough milk?

mamasmurf171

Asked by mamasmurf171 at 2:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies often have a growth spurt around 2 weeks, but it's not exact. He might be hitting it early. Or he's just having a hungry day. Either way, he is bumping up your supply.

Breastfeeding is supply and demand. You are not drying up, but just not making as much as he needs. The more he nurses the more you make. But the more you might supplement with a bottle, the less you will make.

The best and most accurate way to judge if baby is getting enough is diaper count. It's been a long time for me, so I don't remember how many, but that's easy to fill in. Baby needs to mostly be wetting X number of diapers a day.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 2:16 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/breast-fullness/
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 2:24 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Pump and see how much your producing,, and keep pumping,, even if you have to supplement with formula,, pump ,,, sometimes your milk doesn't catch up with how hungry they are,, the more you pump the more you make,, and you need to gauge how much he is getting everytime he latches,, should be at least 2-3 oz.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 2:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Don't pump yet. It's recommended to not start pumping until baby is 4-6 weeks old. Baby is best at regulating your milk production. Pumping can not do what baby can do. What you pump is not an indication of what baby is getting...baby can get more than what a pump can.
    Feed on demand, even if it's every hour. If baby wants to nurse, let him nurse. Baby is telling your body, through nursing, how much milk he needs and therefore how much milk you need to produce.
    As long as you keep breastfeeding, and eating right (do not restrict your calories right now!!) you will not dry up.
    Ludvik_Smith

Answer by Ludvik_Smith at 2:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Chances are that you are making plenty. My guess would be that if you were going to have issues producing milk, it would have occurred right away. What you are describing is VERY normal for a growth spurt, and if you continue nursing you will see it over and over again when the baby is going through rapid growth. The babies adjust your supply to meet their needs by eating very frequently...your body responds by producing more milk.

Nature is smart. I would not pump. There are women who cannot produce a drop with a pump, but can nurse exclusively...their bodies just don't respond to a pump. Instead, I would be monitoring the diaper counts. If you are getting 6-8, I wouldn't worry.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 2:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• http://www.cafemom.com/group/325?ct=beta_topnav_dropdown_grouplist

this is the breastfeeding group-they have lactation consultants
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 3:10 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Dont pump! Just rest and feed baby as much possible. Count wet diapers adn don't supplement with formula. You will make as much as your baby takes. Your baby is supposed to nurse often to build supply. Make sure you are caring for yourself with lots of water, and good food and lots of rest. The rest will take care of itself.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 5:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2012