Fostering relatives kids?

They are removing my sisters kids from home.  Her boyfriend busted selling drugs.She has 4 ages 7-11. Can family foster? Is there financial help?I already have 2 kids. I am stay at home mom homeschooling for health reasons.Am married but due to health issues, my husband works limited hours.Financial help would enable me to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Adoption

• I think you need to contact social services and offer, you have to go to some classes,, etc,, but wouldn't allow them to go to a stranger, unless it was unavoidable.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:04 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• family is always the systems first choice. You have to go through all the same checks etc that a foster family does. Sometimes there is finacial help but would you not do it if there wasnt? Not everyone qualifies for financail help and as a family member asking to take the kids you may get a one time only payment.

You have to prove you would be able to do it with out help. Normally the kids are on state medical, there should be a kinship program in your county, check on that.

It also depends on why they are being taken, if the need to keep her completely away they may not let family take the kids.

Many many ifs,ands and buts so I would call and find out first hand
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• You can offer to take custody but it isn't the same as fostering. You have to go through all the rigamarow to become a foster family. There is no financial help unless you do foster. We took our grandkids in when they were removed by CPS. After several months we needed to get legal guardianship. A nurse in the ER heard my GD call me Grandma and they wouldn't accept the papers I had to consent to treatment.. Several years later the parents rights were terminated and we adopted them. If your sister says she doesn't want you to take them they usually won't, if she specifically asks if you can take them it is generally granted unless someone is a convicted felon or has charges pending.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 4:11 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• You would have to follow all the same rules as foster care, but would get all the same benefits (which isn't a lot, but it helps with the expense of taking in an additional child). The others are correct that you would likely receive preference being family and someone the child would recognize.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 4:27 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• we have legal custody of my grandchild, however we are not fosters so we get nothing, I prefer it that way, having custody this way, the system isnt always in our home etc and she is here....no chance with out going to court to regain custody that her mom will be able to just take her back because a social worker said she seems okay now. we get to decide with mom when she is ready. Mom likes this arrangement, CPS was not involved but again, check into your kinship program, if CPS is involved then you most always get finacial help adn you do get power of atorney to make medical etc choices.
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 4:51 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Even with CPS involved you have to qualify for financial help. I do know one sett of custodial grandparents that did qualify for food stamps and medical but they took in 3 kids at once and were already on a fixed income.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• The best thing you can do is call your local CPS or DSHS office and ask them your specific questions. They can tell you exactly what you need to be aware of in the state you live in.

Most of the time they prefer to keep children within the family, so if you qualify, I would recommend that you go for it.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 12:29 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

• Yes but it is not all that much money. About $600. Call your DSHS office and they will send you an info package.
    booklover545

Answer by booklover545 at 3:56 PM on Jul. 9, 2012