Would you still eat this chicken?

I have chicken that's been marinating in the fridge since last Wednesday (5 days). I cut it up into chunks while it was still frozen, threw it in the marinade & it's been there ever since. My husband wants to eat it tonight & he says it's OK to eat because it's been sitting in a salty/vinegary marinade so no bacteria could grow in there. He said it might be either be too tough, or too mushy but he thinks it's still edible.

Would you cook it?

Asked by samurai_chica at 4:56 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Food & Drink

• NO! Raw chicken should only be kept a couple of days in the fridge. And although a marinade with salt and vinegar helps to preserve food, it doesn't prevent all bacteria from growing.....this is why so many people of past generations died of food poisioning, they weren't able to preserve their foods the way we can....they used salt and brines. I wouldn't take a chance just to save a few dollars worth of food.

Answer by ohwrite at 4:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• No. There may be something yukky growing inside the pieces. It's not worth getting sick over.

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 4:59 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• My girlfriend just told me that she always marinates her chicken for 5-7 need to look into that. It doesn't seem right to me!

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• A lot of people do things that are not considered safe, either because they've always done it, or their parents did it that way. I took a nutrition class with my son, and the nutritionist who taught it told us there is no such thing a s a stomach flu, that often when people think they've had the flu they've often had food poisoning and didn't realize it.

Definitely look on the internet or talk to your doctor for better answers.

Answer by ohwrite at 5:15 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• According to the USDA "Poultry can be refrigerated for up to 2 days in a marinade. For easy cleanup, use food-grade plastic bags for marinating and discard the bags afterwards. Food-grade plastic, stainless steel, or glass containers may also be used to marinate food. Cover poultry while marinating it in the refrigerator. Don't use marinade from raw poultry as a sauce unless it is boiled first to destroy bacteria. If stuffing poultry, marinate the poultry first. Cook immediately after stuffing." 

Here's the link. You do have to scroll down the page about halfway to find the quote above.

Answer by ohwrite at 5:20 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• i would say NO CHICKEN,, lol! where the heck have YOU been BTW?

Answer by kimigogo at 5:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I've been around, just not that much! I have a day job now...i was a SAHM forever which gave me more time to play on here. I miss my girls in answers, although it seems that a lot of folks have disappeared. Or maybe I'm just no on here

Comment by samurai_chica (original poster) at 5:58 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Nope no more than two days.

Answer by Melbornj at 6:01 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Good to see you!

Answer by kimigogo at 7:17 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Personally, I wouldn't. It could stillbe safe to eat, but why risk it?
    I marinate my chicken overnight

Answer by momto2boys973 at 7:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2012