what did/will you atheists do?

i've always been pretty anti-marriage & too young to think about death. but i've found the man of my dreams & now that i have a daughter, i worry about the future. so marriage & funerals come up. i want a nice wedding (not just at the courthouse) w/out a religious figure & a funeral that's not christian. so who can marry us? are there non-religious funeral homes? can we have a poet say something nice instead of a priest or sometihng read from a bible? message me if you wanna go into detail.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 11:57 PM on Jan. 30, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Anyone can be ordained over the internet. If you have a friend that you want to marry you, then they can.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 12:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• as for marriages.. there are justice of the peaces that can marry you
    funeral homes are generally religion optional, ex. they allow you to bring in whomever to preform any ceremony desired or lack of one and yes a friend/relative/etc can say a speech at the funeral.
    You can have your wedding where ever you want, and call a justice of the peace to come so you can say your vows (vows do not have to be made to follow any religion).
    any other questions feel free to pm me.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:06 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• you can still have a judge marry you, you have them go where you are planning on getting married.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• A judge or justice of the peace can perform a legal ceremony. Heck take a cruise and the Captain of the ship can marry you. (I think)
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• one of my best friends had a child hood friend of her husbands marry them because her husband and the official where really close as kids. it was awesome. as far as funerals go i think you can have any type of funeral you wan ti have been to several whee ther was no religious figure or any religious anything involved.
    rismommabear

Answer by rismommabear at 12:24 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• You can get married on a boat or under a blanket of stars. No matter what you believe the sky is the limit. And sure a friend that is ordained on the internet can do it or a justice of the peace. Funerals can have poetry and talk about what you have accomplished with your life. The legacy you leave behind ect...
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 12:31 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I was married by a preacher --- he asked us before-hand what we believed or didn't so he'd know what to include in the ceremony. You can also have a JP come to where ever you're having the wedding... your house, the beach, whatever.

I've been to many funerals in funeral homes as opposed to churches. Usually, instead of a 'sermon' type thing, your family & friends each take a turn at the podium to share a story or memory they have with you.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My husband and I got married at the local botanical garden, we hired and ordained minister that allowed us to write our own ceremony and vows. It was gorgeous. There are many lovely places you can get married that aren't religious in nature.. and you're not limited to a court house. Just start googling and asking around - there are options! As another poster commented -- I also have a friend that's ordained, she performed a wedding for a mutual friend of ours. :) Good luck!
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 2:09 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If you want to find a Secular Humanist Celebrant you can copy and paste the following url:

http://www.secularhumanism.org/index.php?section=main&page=celebrants

I can also help you if you would prefer to find a Spiritual Humanist to perform your ceremony.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 2:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• A judge can marry you at any ceremony. Some will use whatever script you provide & for a small fee come to you to preform the marriage. An outdoor wedding is a nice choice for a neutral wedding, or a rented hall. Also, it is quite easy to get "ordained" online now, someone special in your life might do it just to be legally able to marry you. Funeral homes (almost all of them) are religion neutral. They provide the place, transport to the cemetery etc. but you can arrange for any kind of service you like while there. You just have to make the arrangements ahead of time to have someone "in charge" so the logistics work the way you like. This can be a spiritual leader, a family member, a poet, or anyone you like. You can ask loved ones to speak at the funeral or not. The funeral home will also play any music you like. Message me me if you would like more details, I have experienced non-religious ceremonies of both types.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009