Wanted to share on the garage sales watch out lists to maybe save others hassles in the future

This time of year, yard sales can be found in just about every neighborhood on any weekend.
Consumer reporter John Matarese said yard sale shoppers should be informed before heading down the street to hunt for deals.
Readers Digest magazine has released a list of things to never buy at garage sale, Matarese reported.
Bicycle helmets, child car seats and tires should never be bought secondhand, because they might be damaged or otherwise unsafe.
With all of the recalls on cribs, it would be hard to know if you were buying a safe one, so it is best to pass those by.
From a health standpoint, beds, bedding, mattresses, etc., could carry all kinds of cooties, such as bed bugs.
Shoes and hats, which are rarely washed, can also pose some health hazards. Bathing suits should be avoided too, since that's essentially like buying used underwear, Matarese said.
Two electronics items to avoid at yard sales -- unless they are completely free -- are laptop computers, which have all been banged up or dropped, and plasma TVs, which can cost more to repair than to buy new.

WildCat73

Asked by WildCat73 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Shopping

• Thanks!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• thank you Thanks for the heads up.  I would think some of those would be obvious- can't imagine some people buying some of those items- or people putting them out for others to buy in the 1st place.  gross :p

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:55 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Most of those are common sense. LMAO though I should say that we got our cribs from other people. One for free from a friend and one at a garage sale, but I did my research first. They are both completely safe, and I wouldn't have taken them without knowing so first. I can't imagine buying a used car seat, though I know many people do. Just the other day I saw someone asking if anyone was selling a car seat. You can never know if it was in an accident or not.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 7:07 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Thanks.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 7:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I would think so to but i see it everyday :(
    WildCat73

Comment by WildCat73 (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I bought formula at a garage sale once. It was a new can and the couple had a new 1 year old so I bought it. But I couldn't bring myself to give it to my baby. I would say add that to the list; because you never know.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 7:40 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• AND don't head into the backyard if you are alone!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 7:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• thank you

GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:07 PM on Aug. 8, 2012