Communicating previous epidural reaction

I had a pretty severe blood pressure crash last time with the epidural,so I was hoping to avoid or at least be more prepared with the epinephrine right there. I am having a cesarean so I'm obviously having some kind of spinal anesthesia and this will come up again most likely. When I went into labor last time(a bit before 39 weeks) I hadn't slept so I was useless for answering questions,DH was in the hallway for some reason, and neither my doctor nor chart had arrived yet.

So would this be one of those good times to come up with a birth plan even if it has nothing else on it?

I will tell my doctor, the anestheologist, and my husband knows obviously but just in case everything goes the same. Part of me does think it would look silly to come in with a birth plan that's a whole 1-2 sentences though.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 8:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Pregnancy

• There is nothing silly about being prepared for a negative reaction to anesthesia.
    Have it in writing on paper, write it on your back, have a copy for husband, warn doctor, advise nurses while checking in, put it on a banner-
    Be your own best advocate.
    feralxat

Answer by feralxat at 8:47 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I would do that, just in case for some reason the same situation comes up, where you are unable to tell them and your husband isn't right there to tell them either. Better safe than sorry.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 8:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Definitely have it written down! Make sure your doctor knows, hub knows, nurses, EVERYONE! Keep a copy in your hospital bag, and make sure hub knows where it is located.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 9:03 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I would tell every single person that you see upon entering the hospital. Take a birth plan..give one to your doctor, keep one in your bag and give one to your husband and anyone else you have in the delivery room. Seriously consider writing it on your back and belly like feralxat said...not kidding! If things get crazy, you need to be covered! Good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 11:39 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• I would have a birth plan, and also find out if you can preregister with the anesthesiology department.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 12:11 PM on Jun. 20, 2012