What was the biggest blessing and/or regret when you bought a home?

I am going to be a new mom and my husband and I are house hunting. We have a collie and a cat and live in a 1.5 bedroom 1 bathroom single wide. We are upgrading to a house. What are some things that are an absolute must that has been a blessing to have, and what did you decide to go without and regret?

mikko2285

Asked by mikko2285 at 12:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Home & Garden

• The biggest regret is the neighborhood. It is loaded with vandalous, ignorant youth and just doesn't feel right. If I win the lottery, I'm outta here!
    Iluvautumn

Answer by Iluvautumn at 2:51 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I do think neighborhood is a big deal because if you can't feel safe in your own home, where can you feel safe? Also, make sure that you buy a house that is resellable. When we looked at houses a lot of them had weird layouts and you can change the carpets and colors of walls and things but it's hard to change the layout, foundation, bones of a house.

We went without a bigger house and I'm glad because we moved to an area we didn't know well and the property taxes were ridiculous. The house payment itself was fine but with the taxes it was about the max of our budget.
    lil_angel00

Answer by lil_angel00 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• you HAVE to have two bathrooms! lol my husband and i have had the flu at the same time or my son and one of us and having two bathrooms is def. a big help! even in our apartments we made sure to get two bathrooms! also neighborhoods with side walks...it's nice to be able to go on walks and not have to be in the street :)
    LuckyAsCanBe

Answer by LuckyAsCanBe at 11:01 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Most important things:
    Being able to afford your mortgage payments, INCLUDING being able to decorate/furnish it!
    Location--being close to stores, pharmacies, community center/recreational spots but not having them in your "back yard!"
    Good schools, city infrastructure--police, fire and emergency services
    Select a home that has "good bones." You can always repaint, plant shrubs/trees/grass, but if the house itself is in poor condition, you'll forever chase good money after bad!
    HIRE A REAL ESTATE ATTORNEY for the closing! A couple hundred dollars will go a LONG way towards making sure the sale is legit, and problems can be ironed out in legally!

I don't have any regrets...we looked for several months on the internet (realtor.com) and with an agent to find our dream home! GOOD LUCK!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:45 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I purchased two homes when I lived on my own. The first house had two bedrooms, one bath, an attic for extra bedroom space or storage...no heat or cooling up there but it does have window access on both ends of the house. The kitchen is small but does have decent storage. An addition for the washer and dryers was added before I purchased the home. The house has a basement with access to the back yard. The yard is small but workable for a small garden or play area. The front yard slopes, needs a small retaining wall to level out the ground...would be nice. The roof is new as of winter 2008. Have to work on a new porch, paint the house and deal with the cracks in the basement...tree roots are breaking up the concrete floor allowing water to come in from the ground. I still own this house along with my 20 year old. He lives in now and we split the mortgage.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 10:30 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• My second home I purchased from a friend who was fixing to loose it. It had .71 acres and is located in town but on about 7-8 acres of land that belongs to a larger home from which my smaller house was once apart of. There are also ponds located around the area and additional acreages owned by others that have not been messed with. The house had 4 bedrooms: two upstairs and two downstairs and one bath, a small kitchen and living room. I opened up one of the main level bedrooms to expand the living room / dining area. I thought the house could have been redesigned to make it flow better.
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 10:34 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• Both houses had wood floor, which I loved. The windows where large enough to bring in natural light. Both homes needed lots of work at the time that I owned them both. I rented them both out while I was in school to help meet my mortgages. Eventually I sold the home in the country setting to the person who owned the larger house and paid off some of my bills with the profits.

I still own the house with the basement. It is in a residential neighborhood of the town both houses are located in. Both homes have things about them I hated but I could see potential in each of them.

What I would like to do know with the one house my son and I still own is to be able to sell it...but the market sucks...so that isn't going to happen!
    naturescape

Answer by naturescape at 10:38 AM on Feb. 1, 2009

• We picked out a lot of little things that we assumed would could fix up, so didn't count them as negatives against the house. We had no idea how expensive all those little things would be added all together. After 6 years we're still doing them a piece at a time because the money ran out after the first 4 things on the list, so now we have to save up for each thing. We still don't have curtains in every room (just the blinds that were up when we bought it), and we still have carpet in the kitchen (yuck!) because we have to save up for the new flooring - the carpet glue ruined what's beneath it.

Have an idea in your head what things like that will cost before you decide they're no big deal.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 3:18 PM on Feb. 1, 2009

• I like all the ideas and thoughts everyone had- I appreciate all you comments!
    mikko2285

Answer by mikko2285 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2009