Rabbit losing it's hair?

I run in a local park and every morning there are two black rabbits. I hadn't seen them in about two weeks and figured they were eaten by something (this park has many acres), but I saw one today and it's like he's going bald! Why would a rabbit start to lose half of it's hair? I suspect someone dropped them off one day because they couldn't care for them any longer. They seem tame. Anyway...

jeanclaudia

Asked by jeanclaudia at 10:44 PM on Jun. 18, 2012 in Pets

• Mites? Some sort of skin issue would be my guess.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:41 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• It's likely that one of them is a brand new mama. I've had some of my does pull enough fur to line their nests that they looked sadder than a mangy dog. Rabbits line their nests with fur they 'usually' pull from their bellies (so the kits can get to the nipples and keep warm), but some does really go to extremes. I had one first time mother pull so much it looked like I gave her a mohawk ~ the rest of her body had only little wispy patches of fur left.

They can get mites and some other pesty things, but generally if you see one missing a lot of fur ~ especially from the belly and chest ~ it's because she built a nest.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 11:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2012

• Oh wow....well I hope to see new babies then! Thanks for your thoughts you guys!
    jeanclaudia

Comment by jeanclaudia (original poster) at 1:14 AM on Jun. 19, 2012