how do i introduce religion

no one in my family has ever been "religious" but we all went to sunday school when we where little. i have sense grown disgusted with modern organized religion namely chritianity but i still have a spiritual relationship with god. my son is almost 7 now and he has never been to church let alone sunday school. how do i get him involved so he can learn about god and religion with out myself getting to involved?

rismommabear

Asked by rismommabear at 12:32 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Read him a Childrens bible for bedtime. Explain to him your past experiences with God and counsel him when he is in need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I just want to point that is not about a religion its about a relationship with Jesus Christ

hinson7169

Answer by hinson7169 at 12:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Take him to a sunday school but don't stay for the adult church. just make it something fun for him to do on sunday mornings.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I agree with anon. 1234 start reading him the childrens vers. of the bible stories and start talking to him about GOD and Jesus then maybe take him to a sunday school class.... nobody in my family was really religous either...def. didn't go to church, i always went with neigh. or friends and once i was older educated myself.
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• You can hold your own "Sunday school" at home if you like. Just take the lessons you would like him to learn, write a little story or something to illustrate it, then read it to him and discuss with him what his thoughts are & what you get from the story, how it can apply in real life etc. You can also try to include your spiritual thoughts in everyday conversations (eg look at that rainbow, this is how rainbows are created, didn't our creator provide a special place for us?). If you choose to use Bible stories & mass produced literature and the like, screen it carefully, it usually includes the agenda of the institutionalized religions. You might check out a UU church if there is one near you, they embrace people of all religions & spiritual paths, this could give your son the most well-rounded understanding of religion, God & spirituality by letting him see the many different paths people take.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 9:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Is there a Unity Church in your area? I love them because they're very open minded and focus on our relationship with GOD, without all the silly dogma. It's a VERY spiritual approach to GOD. Their website is www.unity.org. I think even you would like to join in on their services.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• well, you can send him to bible camp over the summer.. they have plenty of bible study camps during that time.. or you and your children and get a couple of childrens books about God and read them together, they also have activity books online or at your book stores. Good luck.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:08 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• do some looking around in your area. there are many churhes who go to get kids and take them to church then bring them home. if your not wanting to push a "religion" on him, but teach him about God, i say look into nondenominational or interdominational churches. most dont claim a "religion". that is what i go to. i also felt like "church residue", and wanted to get away from that, but continue my relationship w/God. look into that, i say.
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 2:42 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son is 7 also. I did let him go to church with others when he was younger, but now I have discussions with him about how different people believe. For now I want him to mostly understand that different people believe different things...and that's ok. When he gets older then if he decides he needs/wants a religion, I will help him research different ones so he can discover which path is most true to his heart.
    indigostone

Answer by indigostone at 5:52 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Check out this website, see if there is a Calvary in your area. Calvary is like no other church I've ever known. They are a non-denominational church and they teach the bible, nothing else. I personally hate religion, it's a man-made thing. Go see if you'd like Calvary.

Here's the link to find one in your area: http://calvarychapel.com/find_a_church.cfm
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 6:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2009