In YOUR opinion, Do you think Gay runs in your genes?

My mother was arguing with my that gay is in your genes so if one person is gay in your family it can be passed down to another family member like some sort of disease/disorder. She claimed there is medical proof out there and just need to "google" it. (she is one of those that she believes everything she reads)
So aside from research that you may know is out there. What do you personally think?

LostSoul88

Asked by LostSoul88 at 11:25 AM on Jun. 19, 2012 in Parenting Debate

• No there is no "Gay gene" like there are genes for blue eyes, or brown hair. Rather it is a development of neurological wiring, or the manner in which the brain develops and makes connections as well as hormone levels.

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2012

• that's a new one to me. lol. is that like lying, or being a shopaholic can be passed down? haha. its individual..not hereditary.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:29 AM on Jun. 19, 2012

• Seeing as how expensive IVF can be, I don't think many homosexual couples have their own children (males anyways), yet there are still the same amount if not more homosexuals now than before. If it was passed down genetically, I don't think many people would be homosexual now? idk. lol.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 1:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• Now while hormone levels can have a genetic predisposition such as increased production or serotonin, running in the family there is no way to determine in what way that will present itself in the person......it depends on how neurons synapse, much of which takes place in utero. Medically those who are homosexual tend to have brain development patterns that are similar to straight people of the opposite gender. I.E. Gay males tend to have brain patterns similar to that of straight females, etc. But there is no "gay gene" , just like there is no twatwaffle gene. The difference is being a twatwaffle is a choice, being gay is not. (Not calling you a twatwaffle just using one of our favorite words because I can)
    KristiS11384

• Well, first of all I didn't lend Gay my jeans and if he runs in them, well that is his problem.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 1:31 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• I am not sure about an acutal "gene",, what I am sure of is that most people know they have opposite sex attraction at a very young age,, I know that about 1 in 12 people are gay, my parents each have 12 brothers and sisters,, amazingly enough 1 on each side is gay, one married had children and then finally came out, the other was a "confirme" bachelor until he died.
    My brother was on the team that isolated the gene that causes cystic fybrosis. this happened less than 20 years ago, so it is possible there is one, but he (as well as I) hope they never find it, because it might cause people to abort on the sole grounds of sexuality.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 4:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• I absolutely believe you are born gay (one uncle out of five siblings that is gay, so it's pretty clear it's got nothing to do with how you're raised, and who the hell would CHOOSE to live a lifestyle that's going to get them treated the way they are treated?!), but I don't know if it's genetic, if it's something in the brain that is different, or how exactly it comes about.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 12:53 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• I am sure all the answers to that questin are well into the future to being answered. My educated guess is no.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• No, I don't think it's just genetic. I think it's a result of various factors, both internal and external. Just as pretty much every other part of our personality.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 11:26 AM on Jun. 19, 2012

• No I do not think that.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 11:33 AM on Jun. 19, 2012