Anyone have a natural birth after c-section?

I have been told its possible.But i'm scared ,@ first didn't think that much about it.Now i'm like 8 mths and i'm starting to think about it alot.Need some I been there,done that advice.Thanx

Blessone29

Asked by Blessone29 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Of course you can but its very uncommon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Of course you can, and it's not as uncommon as people believe. The key is to know what you WANT and not allow drs. to bully you. Pauline, she is in "Birth is Normal" a natural birth group and answers questions on here often, had a homebirth after 2 cesareans and is about to have have another amazing birth. :)

The key is education. Don't allow them to induce you, don't accept pitocin, don't be stuck in bed, etc. You may want to check some of the VBAC groups out here as well. :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 1:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Anon, it's not that uncommon. Women do it every day. The big deal with it (risk-wise) is uterine tearing at the old incision site. The risk is only about 1%, with a slight increase if you are induced.
    As for the "Birth is Normal" group, be careful in there. They are a bit militant. A friend of mine and I were members, and when she posted her birth story (she ended up being induced, because she had GD and was overdue), they bashed the hell out of her. When she posted her birth story, she got over 50 comments telling her she was a horrible mother for being induced, etc. So if you're looking for encouragement, that may not be the place to go.
    I would check out the VBAC groups on here. I am hoping for one with my next baby, too.
    Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Also, do some research. As long as your hospital and doc/midwife are willing to do it, then I say go for it! The OR isn't too far away on most maternity wards, and if need be, they can get a baby out in just a few minutes. It's worth a shot if it's important to you.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Very possible! I had a homebirth after 2 c-sections in 2007 and will be having another in 2-3 weeks.

I LOVE Birth is Normal, I think it's a great group but I would also not allow most interventions, especially not an induction.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 4:28 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• "Pauline, she is in "Birth is Normal" a natural birth group and answers questions on here often, had a homebirth after 2 cesareans and is about to have have another amazing birth. :) "

Yes, I am! And getting very excited! I'm due in 14 days, WOW. I always go past my due date. Hopefully baby will be here before March but no rush.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 5:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I did. My ds was a c-section, and 15 months later, my dd was born v-bac. She's almost 15 now. We were stationed in Gander Newfoundland, and I was the first v-bac they ever had there.

Honestly, if you are thinking about whether or not you want to have a v-bac, I would look at why you had the c-section to begin with, what sort of incision you had, and how healthy your pg has been so far. I would also talk to your Dr and see what they say. (NOT saying you HAVE to do it their way - I fought to have my v-bac, my general practitioner said I could, the OB they sent me to, for various risk reasons said they were impossible, I basically reached the point where I told him that either we could work together on it, or he wouldn't see me again until I went into labor - this was at 8 mos pg and I was still seeing my GP every week as well, so it wasn't that big a threat...)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• cont

I would also consider your reasons for this - are you doing it because you feel like you failed b/c you had the c-section the first time (common with women who've had c-sections), or because you would prefer to have your child as naturally as possible, or because your recovery time was so long from the c-section, and you are hoping for a quicker recovery, or whatever?

If you try to deliver, and you end up having to have another c-section, will you be ok with that?

I can't tell you that any of these reasons, or any other you come up with, is right or wrong or anything like that, but it's all things to consider before you make your choice.

I just want to say that having had a child both ways, I'm glad that I made the choices I did with each of them (my c-section was an emergency), and I'm just as much a mom for each of them.

Weigh your reasons and your personal medical health, talk to your Dr, and go from there :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I knew you would be here eventually Pauline! :)
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My mom had a C-section with my bro.4 years later she had me by natural birth,It wasnt that bad and she wasnt in labor that long.I just kinda came out in less than 5 pushes.maybe tmi,But you can do it,but that was in '94,The chances are you can have one now.without having much difficulty.
    I hope this helps and i hope your baby is healthy when he/shes born
    Niddyann1121

Answer by Niddyann1121 at 2:24 PM on Jan. 31, 2009