Delta airlines policy..completely stupid

We're down to our last few days visiting family. This has been bugging me since our flight out. We flew delta and apparently they have a policy that states that you cannot have you lap child in any kind of sling/wrap/carrier..that you must hold them. The flight attendant was quick to point out where it was in their manual but could not tell me why this was. The flight attendant said she assumed that it was because of risk of injury. I want to know why this is. I flown American many times and have never had an issue with "wearing" my one year old the entire flight. I mean I'd anything happens and the plane crashes, I'm going to shield my kids with my body....I just think it's stupid. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm going to call customer service and try to get a definite answer..but to put that in your "policies" and not give a reason..ugh. lol to make matters worse, we were on a red eye flight and I got zero sleep (and my day started at 6 am that morning(, so I was going 24 hours without sleep...just super frustrating.

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 1:46 PM on Jun. 19, 2012 in Travel

• they dont have to give you a reason. You sould have read the policies before booking a flight.
    people complain about some wacked shit these days.
    Anonymous

• if you're sitting down, and the baby is in a sling/wrap/etc, wouldn't you be 'holding' them anyway? i don't understand, i guess.
    however, i'm thoroughly surprised they even allow those, anyway. i figured it was mandatory they be in a regular childseat/carrier.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:51 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• they state that child must be held in yor arms
    perhaps its a matter of the adult not being able to manuever quickly enough etc.
    you dont have to hold your child for FREE you are welcome to buy an approved carrier/carseat and pay for the fare.
    Lets complain over FREE airfare why dont we.
    Anonymous

• It isn't just Delta. I thought the policy was for all airlines, but I guess not. I was told that for take off and landing, they can not be in a sling. during the flight was ok.

sometimes safety regulations on airlines make little to no sense. TSA is just a dog and pony show.
    zetajen

Answer by zetajen at 2:03 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• Dullscissors, yeah..you technically are holding them anyway..that's what I don't get..

Anon1..I didn't think I would have to read the policies bc I've never had an issue having ds in a sling before. So yes, I'm "complaining about some wacked shit these days".

Anon2, what do you mean not being able to maneuver quickly enough? Just because it's free airfare doesn't mean I have to keep my mouth shut about a policy I don't agree with..this is my way to vent and if you don't like it, back out of the question.

Zetajen, lol to the end of your answer..you're right.

mom_to_kenzie

Comment by mom_to_kenzie (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• I think it is because if there is turbulence you could fall on them. In the end it is stupid and I have only had them enforce it during take off and landing. Take an extra car seat on the plane with you in case there are extra seats.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:19 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• every plane I have been on as had the very same rule. I see no problem with it and I see why they have that kind of rule.
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 2:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• I thought all kids that little had to be put in car seats? Shows how much I fly- they keep adding onto or changing the rules. I hope you get some rest before your next flight! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

• They have this regulation for a reason. It is to prevent injury to the child that is being held in your lap. It is due to turbulence and so your lap belt fits you properly during takeoff and landing. It is not just Delta that has this regulation.. I've flown for years and it has been on every airline I've ever used.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 9:43 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• they had the same rule on Southwest. there reasoning had to do with the adult seatbelt not fitting properly b/c of the sling. but they only had no slings during take off & landing...DH wore DD during the actual flight.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 4:18 PM on Jun. 20, 2012