Is their a specific age that a baby is not at risk for SIDS? Up to what age does it affect?

I was just curious. It is one of my fears that it will happen to my baby. When I was pregnant I kept thinking that I was gonna miscarry all the time! And then when he was finally born I kept thinking he was gonna leave me for some reason!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• They say that the biggest risk for SIDS is up to four months and then it just decreases. I know exactly how you feel though! For those first couple of months I was constantly getting up to check on my baby to make sure she was breathing okay and everything. Just follow the 'back to sleep' rule and tests have proven that pacifiers help reduce the risk of SIDS greatly!
    biyo49

Answer by biyo49 at 1:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My little one sleeps in the bassinet right next to my bed, and any little peep out of him I jump out of bed to check him. I even move him if he is too still! I had neighbors whose baby died of SIDS. I guess that is why I am freaked about it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have also heard that having a fan in the room not on the baby but in the room helps. My son is two months old and I check to make sure hes breathing at least one a night. It is my biggest fear.
    ashtonjames

Answer by ashtonjames at 1:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Oh yeah, I did hear about the fan on the news. I have a ceiling fan and put it on low. Even now that it is colder I still put it on. :)
    Jeckers

Answer by Jeckers at 1:46 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• after they're a yr old there is no risk for SIDS
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 1:50 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I believe it decreases a lot by six months. By then, they have good control over their head and most of them can roll over and move around. But the risk is still there until they are one year old. My son is seven months old, and this is my biggest fear. I still check on him once or twice a night.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• After your child turns 1 supposedly they are no longer risk for SIDS. But then they are at risk for SUDC (Sudden Unexplained Death in Childhood). SUDC affect children after 12 months old. Please reseach both and talk to your pediatrician about your concerns.
    Anonymous

• I think it just happens. You almost always think it will happen to someone else, but one day I became that person. I became the mother of a child who died of sudc. 18 months old, gone in just a second.
    mjmjam2002

Answer by mjmjam2002 at 2:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2010