How do you feel about guns?

How do you feel about guns as a home protection devise? Have your thoughts about guns changed since you had kids?

I am terrified that someone is going to come after me and my baby. I wanna get a gun license and keep it in my draw under lock and key but still have it. I have a reason to think people would come after me. I'm not just paranoid. Before I got pregnant I didn't ever think of it. I always thought I could take care of myself if anyone ever came for me but with the baby I'm afraid.

xHeiligx

Asked by xHeiligx at 4:27 PM on Jun. 19, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Wish there were WAY less in this world - it would be a better and safer place without them - has gotten out of control!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 6:41 PM on Sep. 24, 2012

• There is nothing wrong with being able to defend yourself, ever!
    >>>
    And you can't defend yourself without a gun?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 10:10 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• I am not a fan but I do own several. We keep the ammunition separate from the guns. Needless to say it is not for defense. For that we have a security alarm. All windows and doors are covered. Even when the power is out. I do ask friends or parents who my child will be at their home if they own guns and what kind of safety do they have. There has been a few times where my child was not going over to a home of a friend because of unsafe gun issues. I have known several kids to die. All the homes were where the kids' parents were the owners, believed one hundred percent their child knew gun safety, and would tell you guns are safe it's just the people. I have nothing against proper gun ownership. I do have some concerns about parents who truly believe their child understands gun safety and there are flaws in the way their guns are secured.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:02 AM on Jun. 21, 2012

agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 10:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• "Our country's sovereignty and the Second Amendment rights of American citizens must not be infringed upon by the United Nations," Moran wrote in the letter. "Today, the Senate sends a powerful message to the Obama Administration: an Arms Trade Treaty that does not protect ownership of civilian firearms will fail in the Senate. Our firearm freedoms are not negotiable." Republican Jerry Moran

Agreed.
    TBandNCmommy

Answer by TBandNCmommy at 10:33 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• "With a gun you have it locked up with the bullets locked up seperately." [baconbits]

Love the name by the way!!!! 

Mine is loaded and in my nightstand drawer. Has been since the day we bought it. I just don't see the point of getting a gun for home protection and then storing them separately. Makes no sense to me. 

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:13 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Therefore, I will not buy a gun. My kids who have families feel tfhe same way. I refuse to live wth the fear that if I don't have a gun I will be raped or killed. What a negative and stressful way to live.

Very funny. We don't have guns because we live in fear. I wouldn't live in fear if we didn't have one. You have a very strange way of thinking.

You have a very slim chance of getting all the diseases that they give vaccines for. Are you, your children and their children vaccinated? Just curious.
    DSamuels

Answer by DSamuels at 5:24 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• If you want a gun for protection you are most likely better off with a can of hornet killer. It sprays from 20 feet away and you can spray a wide area with it before they can get to you. Just aim for the eyes. With a gun you have it locked up with the bullets locked up seperately. Think about how much time it would take you to get the key, unlock bullets, unlock gun, load gun, aim and shoot.. Hopefully you don't miss because chances are you may not get a second shot. If you miss chances are the intruder will over power you and then they have the gun.

Guns have their place and when used properly are no big deal. I do know that my dh had to shoot someone when he was a deputy and it's something he said he never wanted to do again.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Adnilm....Sorry you felt like you had to take a shower, but it true and he tried to do the same thing in Illinois when he was there.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I don't live in fear, but I do live in the city, where sometimes bad stuff happens. A few months ago, my husband was alone at work and three men tried to attack him. They pulled a knife on him. One of his employees has been robbed and beaten twice in the last year in that neighborhood. My husband is in taekwondo and kickboxing and when it happened to him, they never even got a shot in because he is capable of protecting himself. I look at home defense the same way. I will probably never have to protect my family from an intruder, but I don't worry about it because I know I could if I had to.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 1:45 PM on Jun. 20, 2012