How long should I wait when expecting a response from a company I sent my resume to?

I sent my resume & cover letter last friday. I am excited & hope I get the job. But I don't know what the "return" time should be. Most jobs I've applied for answered within a week. How long did you wait?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Money & Work

• Always do a "follow up call" after 5 to 7 days. By contacting the company and asking "..if they received your resume.." or asking if they had made a decision on the position your applied for, is a good thing, b/c it brings your resume and your name back to the forefront of their mind. Otherwise, if alot of people are applying your resume goes to the bottom of the stack. Next, by making that contact, they know you are motivated to get the job. Never let your resume gather dust, call in 5-7 days. :) Hope you get the job you need!! :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 11:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• After you send in your resume,you should call them to follow up if you haven't heard from them in 2 weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Usually within a week, but i have seen it take two....good luck....i wish i had enuf strength....go girl
    Alexmygirl

Answer by Alexmygirl at 5:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Unfortunately there is no proper time...with today's economy, my husband had to send out at least 50 resumes and letters before he got another job. There are so many people that are unemployed right now, the market is very tough.
    Anonymous