Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

College & car insurance

My 18 yr old dd will be going to college in may. Without a car. Do i still need to cover her on our insurance plan? She does not own a car and only drives to and from work now - but is currently covered. &ut with her going off to school without a car - i'm thinking, saving the money.
What are to laws and rules for this? We live in texas and she's going to school in missori.


Asked by Anonymous at 6:45 PM on Jun. 19, 2012 in Adult Children (18+)

This question is closed.
Answers (9)
  • Save the money and take her off your Car insurance.
    To me she is and adult now. She can get her own insurance.

    Answer by louise2 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • i know that in ca & co that if you are driving you need insurance. so if she will not be driving her car, or your car then she should not need it. if she uses another persons car its up to them to have coverage for other drivers

    Answer by flowersmama at 7:00 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Give your agent a call. When my daughters went away to college I was allowed to take them off the policy but they continued to be covered under the "relative" clause which allowed them to use my car for the brief periods they were home. They weren't ever specifically stated on the policy again.

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:08 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • what brawnwyn said,, lol!^^^

    Answer by kimigogo at 7:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Be careful with what Brawn said, check with your insurance agent. Some companies have it in fine print that if their permanent address is the same, they must be on your policy in order to be covered. I learned this from a friend who is an insurance agent when my parents wanted to do this for me.

    Answer by layh41407 at 7:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • ^^Right; that's exactly why you need to check with your agent.

    Some will allow your child to have a "temp" address (dorms, typically) and follow the "relative" rule but until you talk to your agent about your specific policy you won't have a valid answer

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 7:52 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • You need to check with your agent. My agent recently told me that I didn't have to add my 16 yr old to the policy because he doesn't own the car. (It is the car that is covered and not the driver.) But when my daughter bought a car and got her own insurance my insurance company made me prove that she had her own insurance. Or else they were going to add her to our policy. I don't live in TX. So check with your agent. 


    Answer by LoveMyDog at 9:48 AM on Jun. 21, 2012

  • Leader123

    Answer by Leader123 at 12:43 PM on Jun. 25, 2012

  • Save the money and take her off your Car insurance.

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 9:42 PM on Aug. 6, 2012