Should I set my preemie baby girl down?

She is not a major preemie, she was born at 35 weeks. In the hospital my fiance and I were told to hold her as much as possible and do as much skin to skin as possible and this will help her grown and thrive.

Well mt fiance and I took that to heart and now that my little girl is more health stable we would like to set her in her bassinet, crib, or swing but she is so used to being held 24/7 that she cries when we put her down.

Should I let her cry? Is it too soon to put her down? Any ideas on making this transition easier for her?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• before 6 months babies are establishing trust, so letting babies cry it out isnt good until they are 6 months i've heard.... that being said if you have to go to the bathroom or do something like cook or pour a drink i wouldnt mind if you set her down for a few ;]
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 2:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would just hold her. My daughter was born full-term, but she needed constant contact with me. I got a sling and we were much happier. It got infinitely better as she grew though.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:59 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• btw congrats...just hold her...give her moments alone..just do this slowly
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My daughter was born at 36 weeks, and because her body temp wouldnt regulate we had to undress her and hold her close to us bare skinned and keep in maintained it was difficult. She was 5lb 1 oz....Believe it or not when she is older you will regret not just holding her. It was such a bonding experience for us, along with breastfeeding. Keep her as close as possible, you will miss it when she becomes independent.....Congrats, and good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Keep on holding her. Eventually she will start to become more independent. They have actually done studies that have shown that babies who are held a lot and shown a lot of attention early on will be more independent later on (not like when they reach adulthood, but within the first few months-years, they will become more independent than those who weren't shown as much attention). My daughter was born a little early, too, but they never told us to do that. We did it anyway and it was so hard at first. Now, she's 4 months old and happy to be in her bouncer for a while unless she doesn't feel good. Kudos to you!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 4:36 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'm not sure how old your daughter is now. Try laying on the bed or the floor with blanket on it with her head on your arm and snuggling. Gradually have less of her body in contact with you until she is content lying next to you. Then you can try to give her more space, but remain within her vision field until she seems content lying alone. I love holding my son very much, but there are times where I need to be able to set him down and have my body to myself, even for a short period of time. He wasn't preemie, though. But I imagine you need just tad bit space. I also feel it's good for young infants to learn how to feel secure for brief periods of time while not being held. But never would I let them cry it out.
    ShadesofGrey

Answer by ShadesofGrey at 10:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My daughter was 35 weeks too. I held her a lot because I was too afraid to put her down and I was so glad she was home! I was told I held her too much by a lot of people but screw them! But you need your time too. You didnt say how old she is but there is nothing wrong with putting her in a swing or bouncy seat close to you so she can hear your voice and explore her surroundings.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 12:32 PM on Jan. 31, 2009