Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

Can they really get away with this ???

We have some deadbeat neighbors -- druggies who live off of the system and are proud of it --- what is worse is that they teach their kids the same way.....

They have 4 kids, but the one I have been having the problem with is the 8 year old boy........ he is constantly coming over to my house, he is rude and annoying and I cannot trust him at all ( especially around my 3 year old twins) ...... I have told him that I dont think it is a good idea for him to come over anymore because he doesnt listen ( he has walked right into my house and yard without asking ) .......

well the other day I was out in my yard..... i hear my little dog barking from inside and go in to see what he is barking out ( he never barks) .......

There stand the boy holding his hand, whinning and crying saying the dog bit him.......... I look at the mark and it was barely anything ( even for a small child) ..... I washed it off, put some neosporin (sp) and a bandaid on it and told him not to come into my house again, and that it was his own fault.

Tonight I get a phone call from a lawyer saying they want payment or I will be taken to court....

They also said that they were in beliefe that I was babysitting the boy at the time and I failed to control my dog .... AND they want my dog put to sleep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That dog is my 3rd baby and has never, NEVER bit anyone else.....

The boy basically broke into my house, after he had be warned before...... how is that my fault ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Jun. 19, 2012 in Parenting Debate

Answers (26)
  • Tell them you'll see them in court. The boy was on your property, in your home without invitation. I think the phone call was nothing more than an attempt to get you to pay without them having to prove their case.

    Answer by BrawnwynII at 11:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • I would bring them to court and call the police next time he trespasses.

    Answer by Kword at 11:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Get a lawyer! Have you ever babysat this kid before? Or offered? What kinda dog is it?

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:18 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Out of curiosity, can you prove the drug use? Like see it or smell the drug like if it was pot? It wouldn't look good in court (if it goes that far) that they use drugs with kids in the house.

    Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 11:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • NO - never offered to babysit, never have babysit.... i didnt know he was anywhere near my house, let alone inside of it -- he even admitted he couldnt get into the front door ( locked) and went to the side door to get in....

    this is the 3rd time he came in without permission and every time I have told him not to come in again ( next time I really will call police and make report) ....

    My dog is a tiny yorkie mix - 7 pounds and he has never bit anyone, in fact he usually goes up to strangers and rolls over for attention !

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:21 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • The dog was protecting his home. I definitely would call BS.

    Answer by Kword at 11:22 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Well i hope we do go to court because I do have proof that the dad is NOT disabled ( he says he cannot walk and has to use a cane, but I have a cell phone video of him playing ball in the yard)...

    I know the house has been watched for drugs, and a friend told me that her brother has bought drugs from there .

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:23 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Poor ppl don't have enough brain cells left to realize that was a stupid idea? LOL

    Answer by Kword at 11:24 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • I would certainly talk to a lawyer. In some states, when someone breaks the law and trespasses on your property and gets hurt, the property owner is still liable for the injury. It makes absolutely no sense, but it is why my in laws have a locked gate on their pool. it does not take away their liability if someone sneaks in a drowns, but it is the best they can do.

    if they are going to push the dog bite, I would see what my options were to press criminal charges against the 8 year old trespasser and child neglect against the parents who let him. talk to your police department about filing a report about that and all previous incidents. I don't know if you can, but it is worth looking in to.

    I would call CPS about the parents. tell them about the kid left unattended, breaking into your house and the drug use.

    Answer by zetajen at 11:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2012

  • Get a lawyer yourself and tell them to bring it on. It is my understanding that if your dog bites someone trespassing on your property you're not liable. And they're the ones who would have to prove that you were babysitting and obviously they can't.


    Answer by momto2boys973 at 12:01 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.