Does anyone else have an 18 month old who moves arms/hands up/down?

I have an 18 month old son who recently began to move his arms up and down. I'm concerned it might be a sign of autism. His pediatrician said he seems fine, but I'm still very concerned. Anyone else have a toddler who does this occasionally?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, i have a 18mo boy and he does this fairly a lot. All my other children have never had any problem and there is no reason for it to run in the family either. My eldest used to do this to he is now nearly 6 and is very very intelligent for his age, he has what you call a photographic memory which he was diagnosed with in the summer, he excels in school and they are already thinking abut moving him up a grade. So to me it doesnt seem like there's anything wrong to me because it's happened before, maybe take him to another pediatrician and see if he has the same diagnoses as the first.

Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 5:06 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• As long as he is still progressing I doubt that is a sign of autism. The really big sign is being non communicative as in not looking at you or not trying to talk, point or gesture.Babies are still learning about their bodies and how they can effect their environment and repetitive movements can be comforting.

Philsgirl21

Answer by Philsgirl21 at 11:42 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• He could be dancing! Mimic his movements and see if he enjoys that. If your ped says its normal, it probably is. There would be a slew of other signs if he was autistic.
    MiaMJK

Answer by MiaMJK at 12:02 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Is he trying to wave? My son had a very stiff wave when he was first learning. Now he bends his elbow and it looks more like a traditional wave. There are some videos of hand flapping on U-tube. That might help you see the difference between autisim-related hand flapping and your child's arm movements.
    Vespa

Answer by Vespa at 2:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• my dd does this all day. its normal...when she does it I ask her if she is trying to fly and she smiles at me. I do it with her sometimes.. I was worried about it to but got over it very quickly... if he is not babbling or playing or showing any signs of communicating with you and he is not very affectionate then be concerned but if he is hitting his milestones and acting normal then he is fine...
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 4:40 PM on Jan. 31, 2009