should i be concernced if my son stops gaining weight

my 7month old has stoped gaing weight. he has weighed exactly 17lb&7oz for three months now should i be concerned

janie64505

Asked by janie64505 at 2:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Kids' Health

• If you have taken him to the pediatrician and they dont seem to be concerned then I wouldnt be. BUT, if he is not gaining any weight at all it could mean there is a problem. Unless he is a very active baby...he should be gaining SOMETHING.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 4:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• probably not. My daughter's weight plauted, but closer to a year. She reached 19 lbs around a year so it could just be an idea weight for you child.
    Anonymous

• Maybe, maybe not. Exclusively breastfed babies often gain faster in the early months and then slow down a lot after 4-6 months. My son stopped gaining weight at about 8 months old (at 17 lbs.) and at 2 he was finally diagnosed with celiac disease. I knew something was wrong form the huge volumes of poop and the fact that he was getting so skinny, and getting a bit lethargic. Look at your whole child and listen to your gut. In most cases, mom knows when something isn't right. I spent many months with the Drs telling me my son was fine and I knew he wasn't.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:59 PM on Feb. 3, 2009