Am I losing it? The doctor thinks I am! Have any of you had children that broke the developmental rules?

My DD is two weeks old and since day two she has been rolling over on her own. Front to back and back to front. I had to buy her a sleep positioner because of it.

Well today at the doctors office the doctor told me that she should be rolling over by four months. I told him that she is rolling over now and he did not believe me at all. He said that she would have to be a child prodigy or something. I said, no she is not a prodigy, she is just strong.

He advised me that it is impossible for a baby to roll over on her own so soon.

Have any of you had children that broke the developmental rules?

girlneffy

Asked by girlneffy at 2:54 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in General Parenting

• video tape it and show your dr. or take your baby out and let her show your doc
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• my son rolled over for the first time while he was in the NICU at 3 weeks... he couldnt roll back but he could roll to his tummy.... my son was 2 months early and his doctor almost walked into the door when he say my son do it.... he said that some kids just dont fallow the normal development patterns specially preemies that were under . Also my son started to crawl at 6 months and they said he wouldn't crawl until 8 or 9 because he was early and he can also sit up straight... Doctors and nurses dont know everything... most of them dont even have kids of there own so they can only go by what they learned in school.... so dont worry about it hon, most doc don't believe people when they tell them that there kids did something sooner than normal
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:37 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• If you have seen your baby do this..then more power to you. i agree with pp. video tape it and show your dr. make him eat his words.
    ChaoticSoul

Answer by ChaoticSoul at 4:02 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• yeah ...she is doin that since she was around that age now she is 5 weeks and she was all the way turned around differant position.....sideways and all lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 4:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My daughter was rolling over by a week old from back to front, and from front to back by two weeks old. She also crawled by four months (granted, she didn't walk until she was almost two!)... no, it's not impossible
    prinzesstephi

Answer by prinzesstephi at 5:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• lol - yes, my kids did in a lot of areas. As long as they are developing and aren't too far behind, then I wouldn't worry about it. Especially if they're doing things way sooner.

I agree with the video tape thing though :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:39 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My oldest son rolled over at 3 days old and was rolling all over the place by 2 weeks maybe you should find a new DR
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:21 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My son was 5 weeks early and rolled over in the little warmer thing just a few minutes after I had him, always just back to front, and could lift his head like he was 3 or 4 months old from day one, too. I would put him to sleep on his back, check on him 5 minutes later, and he's on his belly. I'd roll him over, he'd wake up and cry for an hour. I got one of those sleep positioners, and he screamed until he made himself puke for 3 nights in a row, because he couldn't sleep on his belly like he wanted to. Our pediatrician did a miniature sleep study type deal and said because his neck was so strong it wouldn't be a big deal to let him sleep on his belly. He's 7 now. I don't remember when he first crawled, but he walked at 7 1/2 months.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:25 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Not a good milestone but at 6 months my ds was having temper tantrums when I told him NO. I asked the DR about it and she thought I was crazy so I put him on the floor he crawled toward the magazines and I said "No Dylan" and he flipped over screaming banging his head and flailing his arms and legs! The Dr laughed and said "Well he's advanced" Oh lucky me LOL.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:48 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My youngest son did it the first week he was home. In fact, I'm embarrassed to say, I had laid him on the sofa, since it never occurred to me that he would be able to go anywhere at that age, and I walked over to the TV and looked back and I saw him push himself over- he rolled right off the sofa! Thank goodness the sofa was fairly low and there was a very soft carpet under it.

Answer by Bmat at 12:29 PM on Jan. 31, 2009