What would you do?

I switched my digital cable box for one thats compatible with my new high def television. When I hooked it up I had all the premium movie channels, HBO, Cinemax, etc. Those are not a part of my package and I really don't watch movies. Would you notify the cable company or just keep this free "bonus" for as long as you can? FYI, I did eventually let the cable company know and they promptly took them away.

Iluvautumn

Asked by Iluvautumn at 3:07 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Entertainment

• I would call them and let them know.

Eventually it all catches up with you - doing the right thing at the beginning is a good lesson for your children and a nice change of pace for the cable company.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 3:15 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I'd enjoy it for a day or two...maybe three...but then I would call it in and get it removed.
    randi1978

Answer by randi1978 at 3:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Whenever I've changed anything with my cable company I always had a period of time where I got good things for free, then they stopped automatically. Sort of like a teaser. I would have assumed that's what it was...without even thinking I was ripping off the company.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 3:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would let the cable company know
    MeNMy2Kids

Answer by MeNMy2Kids at 10:34 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would let them know, just because I can't be dishonest. I feel too guilty. But when me and my hubby first moved in together we set up the tv and turned it on and we had cable. We thought oh cool! The apartment complex gives us free cable as part of our rent. Then we switched apartments and the cable didn't work anymore so we called the front office and told them we needed it fixed. We found out we weren't supposed to have gotten free cable. It was still pretty cool though. We got it free for a year.

I also used to get arrowhead water delivered. Well they didn't bill me for the first month, so I called them up and the lady was shocked that I called and told them. She said she would take care of it. She never charged me for the first month. So sometimes when you are honest they'll reward you for it. Doesn't happen all the time, but it does on occasion.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 2:49 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It wasn't an accident. They do it on purpose so you can get hooked on those channels, and order them when they "remember" to cut them off. I know this because my BIL worked for Time-Warner cable for years. So, no one should feel bad for watching...because that is exactly what they intend for you to do, regardless of what they might say when you call. You aren't being dishonest or doing something wrong, because it was the cable company that turned them on to get you to buy. It's actually a pretty common sales technique.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2009