ANYONE HEA ABOUT CHRISTOPHER McCANDLESS OR SEE IN TO THE WILD? WHAT DID YOU THINK? I CRIED.........

Christopher McCandless
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Christopher Johnson McCandless

Christopher McCandless in his camp on the Stampede Trail (self-portrait found undeveloped in his camera at the time of his death)
Born February 12, 1968(1968-02-12)
Southern California, USA
Died August 18, 1992 (aged 24)
Stampede Trail, Alaska, USA
Parents Walt and Billie McCandless
Christopher Johnson McCandless (February 12, 1968 – August 18, 1992) was an American wanderer who hiked into the Alaskan wilderness with little food and equipment, hoping to live a period of solitude. Almost four months later he died of starvation near Denali National Park and Preserve. Inspired by the details of McCandless' story, author Jon Krakauer wrote a 1996 book and made a 2007 film about this life, both titled Into the Wild and with Emile Hirsch portraying McCandless.

MamaNiecey

Asked by MamaNiecey at 4:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Travel

• I feel so sorry for his parents.

Horrible to have to bury a child.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• lol i JUST watched this movie and posted about it... i cried at the end :(......
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Also - not for nothing, who the F doesn't buy a map or compass?

Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:03 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• lol wimsey...i guess that would be kinda cheating... but he never got lost just trapped on that side because the water came back in the spring and by then he was to sick to try and make it...
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It's NOT cheating to take care of yourself.

Really - no offense and I'm glad you liked the move but this guy? Idiot.

Nature is not romantic. It's all well and good to want to live off the land but you know what? I'm kind of over the "rich white kid finds nature to be a b-tch mistress" kind of thing. He wasted his life and died a horrible death.

He was young and dumb and he could have made it, had he prepared AT ALL for his "adventures".

Sorry, but I don't see it.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:08 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Well ladies I didn't post this to have such negative comments made. It seems no matter what I post someone has to come off with negative comments. This is someone's son we're talking about. Just think if he was someone related to you. I don't think that you would have the same response. If you read the story or even watched the movie you would realize that this individual had some family issues. How could anyone speak such malicious things about someone who has died? I admire you Christopher. And I am glad that there are other people on here who show compassion. Thank You!
    PEACE LOVE AND UNITY ALWAYS!
    MamaNiecey

Answer by MamaNiecey at 4:14 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• wimsey...see other post.... have u even seen the movie?
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 4:17 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My good thoughts ARE with his family - I can't imagine having a child die such a horrible death - by starvation.

I don't think it's such a bad thing to point out obvious flaws in someone else's judgement - especially when those flaws led directly to his death.

I'm glad you liked the movie. I hope I am raising my children to have compassion for everyone, including their mother. You want to go off and have wild adventures? FINE. Take a survival course, take a map, learn how to hunt - prepare yourself.

Nature is not romantic. Nature is real, messy, and amazing.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009