Just wondering?

There are a few girls that Iwork with. Every few months or so we like to go out. We ask this lady all the time if she would like to go have a few drinks. She always tells us she is Baptist. Can a Baptist not drink? If not why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:30 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm a Christian and I don't drink. But I don't have a problem going out with friends who drink. I won't go to bars or clubs or anything like that, (I just don't like the noise or the atmosphere) but we go to nice restaurants that serve drinks and those who want a drink can have one and those who don't don't. Maybe it's where you're going that she's not comfortable with. Or just that you ask her to go "out for drinks" that makes her assume you will be going to a bar or club or something. Next time, maybe pick a nice restaurant that serves drinks and let her know you're all going for dinner, would she like to go. Maybe you'll be surprised and she'll go.

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 2:12 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Why are you asking her after her first polite refusal?

Some denominations of Baptist don't drink alcohol or dance.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 4:57 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I did not know that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:10 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Some Baptist don't drink. But that is nice of you to ask her to join. and wimsey I always see you anwser post and you are really rude! it doesnt matter what the ? is. try being nice to ppl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:18 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I grew up in a Baptist Church. It was a very strict church with certain things you can and can not do. Drinking was one of them.

Next time you go out , try asking this lady where she would feel comfortable going.
    luvnmy3kid

Answer by luvnmy3kid at 8:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• i am new on here but wimsey what is up with you....i looked up your profile and you dont look so wimsey......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Strict Baptists can't drink (alcohol or caffiene), can't smoke, dance, listen to music other than gospel, and the really strict ones don't allow their women to work (unless the family is about to fall apart because of no income) or wear pants.
    Maybe one night, instead of going out for drinks, just go out for a girls night out at a local restaurant and have appetizers and try a bunch of new non-alcoholic drinks.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 9:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• It's nice of you to keep trying to include her. I would ask her if there is something SHE would prefer to do. Maybe she wouldn't mind going out for lunch some time.
    jenettyshome

Answer by jenettyshome at 10:04 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• try next time just inviting her out to lunch at a local restaurant like an apple bees,, that way you and coworkers can choice to drink or not drink. Or try going one night without the booze.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:10 PM on Jan. 31, 2009