Any moms in northern CO?

Are you close to the fires? If so, stay safe!

Looks like wind and heat will be a problem today.

http://articles.cnn.com/2012-06-19/us/us_colorado-fires_1_brett-haberstick-acres-by-monday-night-wildfire?_s=PM:US

QuinnMae

Asked by QuinnMae at 11:14 AM on Jun. 20, 2012 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope dullscissors, I live in central Colorado, but thanks for thinking of me! There are fires all around me but nothing that can get to my area. It is very hot and very dry here. They've cancelled fireworks for most of the state and no campfires allowed. We need rain, and lots of it. The snowpack was abysmal this year and the rivers are running low. So many people have lost homes in this one. So sad.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:23 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Pueblo fire? Yikes.

I know about High Park and Springer (which is outside of Flourissant.) One of my friends in Ft. Collins was describing ash falling by her house.

We had a teeny tiny bit of drizzle this morning and it will do nothing. It is just dry and unfortunately it's really dry in the mountains. And the wind has been insane, which literally helps fan the flames.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:40 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I don't live in Northern CO anymore, now I am Denver-area. I'm glad for cooler, damper weather today... but like others have said snow pack was abysmal, it got dry and hot quickly this year... I have lots of friends up in Ft Collins who have talked about ash "snowing" from the sky and some who are on the front line... Drought conditions haven't been this bad for a decade... It's going to take a while for these fires to get out and the summer has just started... it has been and will be a bad year for fires...
    saphire_eyes802

Answer by saphire_eyes802 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• adnilm lives up there somewhere, i think.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:15 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Thankfully I live way down south so not anywhere near the fires but my mom works for the Forest Service and is up there 'working' the fire, she is just secretarial/finances though so not in any danger thankfully, although the long hours are not good for her health :-/
    Today and tomorrow are supposed to be a little bit cooler with higher humidity lvls according to our meteorologists so maybe they can finally get a handle on it :(
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I don't know about the Pueblo one (near Lake George?), my dh was getting mad at me for watching the news TOO much so i've kinda been out of the loop this week, except for talking to my mom when she can and hearing updates on the radio and such :-/
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 11:39 AM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Lake George is near Flourissant, not Pueblo. So, closer to Cripple Creek and CO Springs. Still not good in any case.

I will gladly take some rain in the NY style (for a week straight) to get us out of danger. Luckily it is much cooler today, 30° cooler than it was this time yesterday. Now to enjoy the cool and get some work done outside instead of having to wait until after dinner.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:31 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I'm not in CO, but I live close...Rapid City, SD. I hadn't heard about the fires. Praying that the rain we are getting now spreads down to the fires and helps take care of them! But I want it to continue to rain here too ;)
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• no fires
    WHITELIGHTJENNY

Answer by WHITELIGHTJENNY at 5:43 PM on Jun. 21, 2012

• Dang, it also looks like there are fires in southern CO too, as well as a few other places in different states.

That's really frightening. I think at some point you would have to have your emergency kit and your box or two full of stuff you don't want to lose in a fire.

I hope everyone is alright.

QuinnMae

Comment by QuinnMae (original poster) at 11:22 AM on Jun. 20, 2012