what is rsv?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://www.cdc.gov/RSV/

Respiratory syncytial (sin-SISH-uhl) virus, or RSV, is a respiratory virus that infects the lungs and breathing passages. Most otherwise healthy people recover from RSV infection in 1 to 2 weeks. However, infection can be severe in some people, such as certain infants, young children, and older adults. In fact, RSV is the most common cause of bronchiolitis (inflammation of the small airways in the lung) and pneumonia in children under 1 year of age in the United States. In addition, RSV is more often being recognized as an important cause of respiratory illness in older adults.

LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 5:00 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Respiratory Syncytial Virus infection. It's like a bad cold, has the same symptoms: a cough. stuffy or runny nose, sore throat, an earache, a fever. Some kids even wheez It's also contagious. It goes a way on its on like a cold. There's a test a dr can do to see if your kid has it or not but they usually can tell if there have been a lot of kids coming down with it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My niece had it and was sick all the time...Did you smoke while you were prego...If you did, you should have breastfed...It will clear up and they grow out of it by the time they are a year. My niece and my step daughter had it. They just seem to be more prone to colds infections, etc...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:45 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Dont listen to anon above me....I smoked the WHOLE time I was pregnant with my son. He is 2 1/2 and I didnt BF him and he has NEVER been sick yet. Not even an ear infection.

RSV is a respitory infection. It is like a really bad cold. Both my girls got tested for it in the last week. They both came back neg. But anyway. Sometimes if you dont catch it early enough so do have to be hospitalized.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My daughter had it. Preemies are prone to it. It's a horrible cold/virus. They weeze, cough and have a runny nose. It is awful. She was in the hospital for a week.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 12:28 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• RSV is a virus that is similiar to a cold, but can be very severe in kids under the age of one - preemies, those born w/ heart/lung problems and newborns. The virus produces a very thick mucus which can clog up the airways - the smaller the child, the smaller their airways. My son was 8 days old (born healthy and fullterm) when he got it and he nearly died (and he was breathing well upon his admit - we were sent as a precaution due to his age). He spent almost a month on a vent in PICU and another month at home on oxygen and a year later, still has ongoing health problems as a result. There is no treatment for RSV - just keep them comfy and monitor for signs of resp distress. If any concerns about their breathing, take them to the ER immediately. The virus is also very contagious and can live on surfaces for up to 12 hours, so it's important to wash hands frequently, use hand sanitizers and lysol everything.
    julesr475

Answer by julesr475 at 12:05 PM on Feb. 1, 2009