First Day of Summer, SUPER HOT, what do have for lunch/dinner?

We are really struggling as it is this summer with coming up with and affording meals, my kids seem to ALWAYS be hungry and it just seems like nothing ever lasts in our house :P So give me some good meal ideas for a hot day like today, this first official day of summer (did you know it doesn't actually officially start until 5pm lol).

DreainCO

Asked by DreainCO at 1:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2012 in Food & Drink

• I love to make grilled chicken salad. I make a big green salad with lots of yummy veggies, like thinly sliced red peppers, red onions, radishes all very thinly sliced. (You might leave these out if the kids don't like them) add a small amount of cooked jasmine rice and toss. serve with your favorite dressing. I also make taco salad, or a chilled spaghetti salad with avocados, green onions, cucumbers tomatoes and feta cheese.

My kids always love grilled tuna sandwiches, sloppy joes, tacos, and of course a big bowl of chilled fresh fruit! Deviled eggs are always a hit, baked beans done in the crockpot. BBQ pork or beef in the crockpot, just toss a boneless roast in the crockpot with a bottle of dressing first thing in the morning. cook all day serve on buns.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• i just picked up some locally grown big fat tomatoes..its BLT season, baby! actually, its TBLT season. (turkey bacon)...fresh summer squash and zucchini, baked up with parmesean and olive oil, or grilled with butter/salt/pepper and chunks of vidalia onion. woohoo!
    we 'veg out' in the summer.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• soup, sandwiches, salads
    LostSoul88

Answer by LostSoul88 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• For lunch I make alot of sandwiches and wraps. I'll make a huge garden salad and put it in tighly sealed container; we'll eat on it for 2 days. I keep veggies such as bell peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, radishes, carrots, etc in containers for them too. Dinner I try to use the crockpot or we bbq. Twice a month I will cook a bag of dried pinto beans. We'll have that for dinner one night; I freeze the leftovers in small batches (usually end up with 8 bags). It's cheaper than canned beans and goes far.

I buy split chicken breasts for 1.00 per lb. Every Sunday we grill and I'll cook 3 extra packages. I shred it up and use it during the week in salads and other dishes.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:55 PM on Jun. 20, 2012