About vaginal birth...

My doctor let me know that I have a pretty good size fibroid. I was just wondering if that would make it harder for me to have a natural vaginal birth, or is that an automatic C-section? This is my first pregnancy, so I have no idea how they go about something like that.

piercedbeauty21

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 8:16 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pregnancy

• If you have them it isn't an automatic c-section. It depends on the size though, if it is too large then you might need one but you can still have a regular birth but because you have a "pretty good" sized one the chances of a c-section do go up a lot. I know it is scary but your doctor will know what to do, I think, lol, if he isn't a total idiot, I know you said he was an idiot so I hope he can help. I hope you don't need one though over this but if you do it wont be that bad, I know the thought of a c section is intimidating but sometimes you gotta do it. Good luck!
    Savanna22

Answer by Savanna22 at 8:40 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Where is the fibroid? My mother got them for years and years and had 3 vaginal births. You can look at info on line as well as talk to your doctor about the risks. It shouldn't be an automatic c/s and depending on the location may not even cause a problem.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:12 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• AFAIK, fibroids don't affect anything with birth, unless you have a crazy lot of huge ones, or something equally unusual. There isn't any reason you can't have a vaginal birth.
    emilyjj75

Answer by emilyjj75 at 11:13 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Like the PP's said, unless you have fibroids blocking the cervical opening (rare) then they won't affect your ability to give birth. They typically do grow with the pregnancy though, so you might feel a bit more discomfort as they get bigger.
    Danotoyou2

Answer by Danotoyou2 at 11:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I do not think that fibroids have a baring on delivery method, but it could depend on size and location. I think their main concern is your amount of blood loss. You could pass the fibroid in labor, or if a c-section is done they could remove it while they are delivering your daughter. I didn't have any fibroids during either of my pregnancies, but I have passed one of decent size and blood loss was minimum. Good luck.
    SHADOWVEIL

Answer by SHADOWVEIL at 1:50 PM on Jan. 31, 2009