My dog is loosing his hair! i took him to the vet and paid 80 dollars for them to say "yup hes loosing his hair , but we dont know why" does any one have an ideas?

He has dandruffy lookin stuff on his fur but mange tests we negative... they sadi it couldbe alopecia but i dont think so..he seems ithcy they fuled out ticks and fleas. any one have any tips.. i know its not shedding cuz you can see his skin...oh he was adopted so we dont know alot about his background

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 8:19 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Pets

• Mange tests? I've been in animal care for 30 years and haven't heard of "mange tests". The dandruff is typically a stress reaction, not to worry about that as much as the mange. Read up about mange on the internet and what to do about it. It's typically transferred from the mother. It takes about 4 months for it to go away and the hair to start growing back. You will need a medicated shampoo, about every other day. That will dry his skin - as too much bathing will, but there's no easy way around it. Some doctors will give a de-wormer med to help it along. Maybe go to another vet?
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 8:27 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My husbands parents use to have this problem with their dogs. There is some stuff at the pet store and I can't remember the name but you can put it in their food and it helps with dry skin. Also they use to rub a very small amount of aloe on the dogs dry spots.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• My dog has that problem. Her vet said she has dry skin. As for fleas and ticks I put mine on comfortis and it helped with both preventing them and also kept her skin moist. I got my dog from a friend who got her from a rescue and we dont know her background either. She was pretty neglected though and was losing her hair, had fleas etc when we took her from my friend. My friend had her a month and did everything to try and get the fleas and dry skin under control. I took her to my vet and like magic she got the rights meds. Try another vet if the one youre going to isnt helping and google dry skin on dogs.
    Anonymous

• Our cat lost hair by the handful and the vet diagnosed thyroid trouble. So we gave her the med and took her back... maybe 6 weeks later for a recheck, and the vet asked if she were the same cat- the hair had stopped coming out and had regrown quite a bit.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Losing hair can be caused by many things.  It can be a thyroid or pituitary gland problem.  It can also be a symptom of an allergy.  My yorkie losses hair every spring and fall and I give him benadryl and it helps the itching and the hair loss.  If I were you I would get a new vet and a blood test done.  Every vet I have ever worked for has done blood tests for thyroid or pituitary or offered a trial treatment plan if they think it is allergies.  I have never heard of a vet just saying we don't know why and not doing further tests to find out what is wrong. 

Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 10:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• "Mange tests? I've been in animal care for 30 years and haven't heard of "mange tests". "

***
    Vets can perform a "mange test" by looking at skin cells under a microscope to determine whether or not the mite is present. Mange does not go away on its own, and to put it into perspective, in humans it's called Scabies. Mange is a mite that burrows into the hair follicle and lays eggs under the skin, leaving itchy blisters and irritating the skin, killing the cells and leaving the skin dry-looking. Vets can treat mange with an injection.

However, your dog very well may have an allergy. I would strongly suggest seeking a second opinion, as there are a few different types of mange, some of which can be harder to diagnose. No more than you would if your children had this problem, PLEASE, do NOT try to treat the problem until you know what it is. The excessive bathing and medicated shampoos can cause even more irritation.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 3:27 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• For the woman who claims to be in animals 30 plus years, there is a test for mange. It is called a skin scraping to look for demodectic mites. Secondly alopecia is another term for hair loss. Has your dog had his thyroid checked? Is you hair loss in any particular pattern (symetrical balding down both rear legs, down sides etc)? Many things can cause hair loss, diet being a big factor. If you can give me a better description I might be able to steer you in the right direction.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 4:53 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Please ignore EireLass's remark. Listen to the matobe & equusvetgal's remarks. They are right on the money. You can put tbsp. of olive oil daily on the food to help w/ dry skin if it's just that.
    just1moment

Answer by just1moment at 5:17 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I have 2 lab/pit mixes and they are shedding terribly right now. Its the change of season. If hes getting that dandruff you might need to change his diet. We have ours on Science Diet for large breeds andt hey have beautiful coats. If its falling out you may need to take him to a dermatologist for dogs. (yes, there is such a thing) I just had my dog there because her hair was falling out in clumps bad. Anyway , she has whats called Sterile Granulomas which is an immune disorder thing and she had to be put on anitibiotics and prednisone. It has helped but I don't know if its the same thing. good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 7:22 PM on Jan. 31, 2009

• Try adding some raw food into his diet if you can, or look into dynovite. Dogs need enzymes in their diets and most of them have been cooked out of dog food. If you are going to use meat., make sure it is fresh and not frozen, but it can be cheap.

Think about it, when God put dogs on the earth, he didn't exactly set a can of Purina down next to them, did he?

I'm probably going to get lynched for this one, but their is a LOT of evidence out there to support what I'm saying.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:42 AM on Feb. 1, 2009