18mth sick NEED ADVICE

I 'm not sure at what point i should take her to the doc, She has had diahrrea for 2 days and threw up a very little yesterday and this morning she threw up, still has diahrrea and everytime she drinks water she throws that up to. What should I do, I don't want to rush her to the doc if it is something that needs to take course

determind

Asked by determind at 8:49 AM on Jan. 31, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wait for 1-2 hours before giving her anything. Once she has gone for that long without puking, give a couple ounces of water only. If that stays down for 10 minutes, give a couple more....if that stays down give a few more....continue for an hour. If that has stayed down start giving her what water (ONLY) she wants as long as it stays down (and she drinks slowly).

If she has not puked for about 6 hours, give her some crackers or a 1/2 piece of bread...see if that stays down.

If at any point she pukes again, then start over. The idea is to give the stomach a rest to settle down a bit.

You have to get the puking "under control" and then deal with the diarrhea....once the puking has stopped, give starches and carbs to bulk her up. The BRAT diet is a good place to start, but those aren't the only starches to give.....

Watch for a fever. No Tylenol if she's puking. Call the doctor.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:01 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• I would suggest taking her to the Dr if she can not even keep water down. Has she been eating/drinking other things? You want to make sure that she doesn't get dehydrated.
    I would recommend going to the Dr.
    NewMommyin06

Answer by NewMommyin06 at 8:56 AM on Jan. 31, 2009

• TiccledBlue has great advice. Keep the amounts small. A sip, wait 10 minutes, another sip.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:34 PM on Jan. 31, 2009