My son won't participate in ANY activity I put him in, and frankly, it's starting to piss me off!

My son is 5. I put him in a introductory t-ball league(he had a choice, and this is the sport he chose, i didn't force it on him), and he won't leave my side! IT'S SO AGGRAVATING!!!!! I literally have to go out on the field with him the whole time (i tried sitting on the sidelines, but he won't leave my side), and even then he won't participate in the activities. The only thing he does is hit the ball. I told him after t-ball is over he doesn't have to play again if he doesn't like it, but he has to finish the season. I want him involved in things he likes, but how can I get him to participate, and maybe be more independent??? Im almost at the point where I don't want to put him in any other activities because it's a waste of money. PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Jun. 20, 2012 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is there a reason why you have to stay there? My granddaughter is in t-ball (granted, she's a little older) and I just drop her off and pick her up.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:20 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I think he'd do better if you weren't there for him to cling onto.. is there anyone else that can take him? Or another mom that can watch him during games?
    anestheticsex

Answer by anestheticsex at 8:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Wait until he shows an interest in something. You say you aren't forcing him, but you really are.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:21 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I'm also a little curious as to why you feel he HAS to be doing something like that at 5.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:23 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Actually im not forcing him at all. We play catch and hit the ball every single day because hes crazy about baseball. And I asked him if he'd like to be on a t-ball team. He jumped for joy and shouted YES! So please tell me how that is forcing him?

And not being there is a good idea, but I still think he wouldn't participate. Hes not used to so many kids at once, and maybe it's intimidating?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:25 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• And please tell me where I said he HAS to be doing something at 5?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:26 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I think you'd be surprised at how much he participates when you're not there. Honest.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 8:27 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• Yeah I think ill try that, thanks!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• okay so he has separation issues, does he do anything else? What other activities has he refused to participate in?
    has he been to preschool, kindergarten etc?
    luvmygrandbaby

Answer by luvmygrandbaby at 8:29 PM on Jun. 20, 2012

• I would talk to his coach and tell him what is up,, tell your kiddo you have to go somewhere,, and you will be back,, he may just not be quite ready for organized stuff yet,, he will get there!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 8:30 PM on Jun. 20, 2012